Like Tree27Likes

Does Hong Kong need an "official" zoo?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    But this is something Hong Kong children want themselves, why deny them that?
    Most HK kids would also like to eat at Macca's every day, play electronic games more than do physical exercise (let alone go to school), and have their own maid and chauffeur.

If, instead, they need to work for the pocket money to join a school excursion to a zoo across the border (if the parents can't afford to take them), what would be wrong about that?
    Char Siu King, bibbju and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Same shit, different username. My bad for bothering to respond to one of your bait threads.
    You are the one who got nasty here. You decided to get personal here, not me. Pot calling the kettle black.

Same crap, same name.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 02-11-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Same shit, different username. My bad for bothering to respond to one of your bait threads.
    Have you not learned, cows don't change their spots....

I was reading an article in the SCMP that said many children in this city want an "official" zoo,
    Many children also want 25Kg ice cream, every day. Just say 'no'.
    chingleutsch and z754103 like this.

I was reading an article in the SCMP that said many children in this city want an "official" zoo, as they want to experience wild animals in this concrete jungle. But the question is, does Hong Kong need an "official" zoo?

While there are no official "zoo" in HK as such, there are public facilities that house wild animals for display in enclosures. But are they adequate? The oldest is the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens at Central. It doesn't have a lot of animals and the enclosures are rather rundown, but you could sort of call it a zoo I suppose. The other is Kadoorie Farm at the New Territories. There are more animals on display there coupled with a stronger conservation message. But it is a lot less convenient to get to. And the biggest "zoo" is of course Ocean Park, with an additional focus on marine creatures. However, it is also the most pricey, not to mention you have to fight against hordes of mainland tourists.

Except for Ocean Park, the first two "semi-zoos" mentioned above are either small in area/number of exhibits (botanical gardens) or hard to reach (Kadoorie Farm). You can argued they pale in comparsion to other international zoos like London Zoo, Singapore zoo or the Beijing zoo. But again, does that mean there is a need for an official zoo in the city?
    A zoo for officials? Yes, plenty should be caged and put on exhibit for the public to eye off, ogle, tease, throw peanuts at and the like.

But seriously....

HK does not need a zoo. If HKers can pay for their darlings to have the latest iphone, study overseas, extra curricular activities galore, then surely they can afford to travel to the outback on safari into the wild and see wildlife in their natural habitat? We have Kadoorie Farm and the sort of semi zoo up in mid levels with plenty of "wild" animals to view. A visit out to Lantau or Lamma during summer for wildlife one may or won't want to get too close to. To have an official zoo in Hk is a joke, not to mention cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Have you not learned, cows don't change their spots....
    And cowards don't dare me me too, that has not changed either...

Hey, how about a zoo for cowards, since they are so chicken to appear in daylight, caging them in for viewing pleasure should do the trick.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Cho-man, your reasoning does not seem very grounded. HK kids may want a lot of things, but there are certain environmental limitations to what HK can provide. Those things that Char Siu mentioned take precedence because HK has very finite space. Personally, I find it upsetting that the government may use up limited space to build tourist attractions (eg like CY suggested in his address this year to build up the north Lantau), because there's already a lot of stress on the local population due to the number of visitors and clearly an issue that needs to be better addressed before further development of more tourist attattrations.

You may disagree, but I think the current little zoo, Kadoorie and (for more affluent) the relative ease to travel to cities (that do have more exotic zoos) are very sufficient for this rather lower priority of the population. I really have enjoyed the two places available and feel it's enough of an opportunity for kids to see animals and perhaps build an appreciation for the local wildlife.

Ps we don't build a snow park because kids want it.
    Interesting point, refreshing how you can engage in a mature discussion and disagreement without resorting to name-calling or insults (unlike a certain someone).

I am not advocating for a zoo here, I don't actually have a position either way, but I am questioning the validity of the the pros and cons of having a zoo in HK. That requires intelligent debate, clearly a level beyond certain people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    A zoo for officials? Yes, plenty should be caged and put on exhibit for the public to eye off, ogle, tease, throw peanuts at and the like.

But seriously....

HK does not need a zoo. If HKers can pay for their darlings to have the latest iphone, study overseas, extra curricular activities galore, then surely they can afford to travel to the outback on safari into the wild and see wildlife in their natural habitat? We have Kadoorie Farm and the sort of semi zoo up in mid levels with plenty of "wild" animals to view. A visit out to Lantau or Lamma during summer for wildlife one may or won't want to get too close to. To have an official zoo in Hk is a joke, not to mention cruel.
    Why would a zoo be cruel though if it can help save endangered animals and promote conservation?

Kim has this strange notion that a zoo here is for rich kids here, when it is precisely the unaffordability of Ocean Park that cause many of them to cry out for one.

As for flameproof's comment, 25kg ice cream is harmful for them, but learning conservation is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini601:
    Climate is not a problem for HK. Just spend 2 hours and you can be at an amazing zoo at Shenzhen (Shenzhen Safari park). I went there and so surprised how good it was....
    I have looked into the Safari Park and want to go there in the week time with the little one, first chance for her to see most of these animals in real and have a day out.

Looking at some of the pictures on Google images I am a bit concerned it's a bit too much entertainment and no respect for the animals though, being in the mainland and all that.

The Daily Mail kind of confirms my fear too (showed up in the same Google image search):
    Horse collapses and dies at Shenzhen Safari Park in China | Daily Mail Online

Where there is smoke there is fire. And we all know that there is probably more truth to this article than we would like, no matter it's from the Daily Mail or not.

I am not sure if I am doing my 3.5 year old a favor by taking here there, teaching values is probably not high on the parks agenda. Kids need to have fun for sure, but I cannot help but feel I would be part of something I personally despise if I take her there :/
    Last edited by 100LL; 07-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I have looked into the Safari Park and want to go there in the week time with the little one, first chance for her to see most of these animals in real and have a day out.

Looking at some of the pictures on Google images I am a bit concerned it's a bit too much entertainment and no respect for the animals though, being in the mainland and all that.

The Daily Mail kind of confirms my fear too (showed up in the same Google image search):
    Horse collapses and dies at Shenzhen Safari Park in China | Daily Mail Online

Where there is smoke there is fire. And we all know that there is probably more truth to this article than we would like, no matter it's from the Daily Mail or not.

I am not sure if I am doing my 3.5 year old a favor by taking here there, teaching values is probably not high on the parks agenda. Kids need to have fun for sure, but I cannot help but feel I would be part of something I personally despise if I take her there :/
    Just go there and you will be happy you did. I didn't expect it was that good before I go. Animals are not in small cages so it was good to see they provided nice environment. You will be walking on the bridges and just below you is tens of lions and tigers playing around. They even had a show which is not too bad. Overall I liked the environment there, so clean and natural......Enjoy!

From Lo Wu there's a direct bus that takes about 1 hour and the zoo is last stop.