Like Tree6Likes

bypassing the wait for the Peak Tram

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Go super-early - that can help. Also, I heard last week there were minimal queues last week and people could pretty much stroll up and catch a tram, because of Occupy Central. Not sure if that's still the case - maybe people working nearby could update the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The queue is not for tickets, it's to get on the train. I have waited in line before with my octopus - same queue you just pay on entry like normal.

Better would be to find a time that others are less likely to be in the queue. I don't know when that is; but when I went the queue was maybe only 10 minutes which isn't that bad for a tourist attraction (annoying for a form of transport, which was what I was using it as!). I was in the middle of the day on a weekday - if you live near there, go and suss it out at various times.

PS - when I have visitors I always give them Octopus cards. I keep a few at home spare and ask for them back at the end of the visit. Its convenient for visitors and not that expensive if you recycle them for all visitors.
    Same here. We keep a few extra octopus cards at home - handy for misplaced ones, and for relatives when they visit. I keep at least 100$ on each, then they can top up when they need to. My advice is to get to the Peak
    Tram early. Yep. 8 am in the morning at the latest to get in first or one of. Don't forget that people live on the Peak and use the tram to travel down to Central each day.

So, have topped up octopus cards at the ready and get there early. Coming back down, you could always walk down Old Peak Rd or take the 15x back down. Bus terminus is under the shopping centre.

I've been at the Tram terminus at 9:30 AM and been at the front of the line. Alternatively, I've also taken the bus (don't remember the route number) and it was a 45 min ride (though traffic jams often). Of the two, the bus offers better views of Hong Kong by far. It's easily the better experience and memories than the tram. Usually I'll take the bus up then the bus down.
    Remember though that once at the top there's not a whole lot to do. I don't usually spend even an hour at the top before heading back down.

Walking over to the playground (near the Hatton Rd. public toilet) and then up High West peak (15 minutes uphill) gives a nice little taste of hiking in HK with some lovely views.

emx likes this.

While I too would avoid the overpriced tourist attractions at the top, there are several nice and mainly flat Hiking routes at the top.

If you go around 9am it will be very quiet.