Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
I don't really understand the question. Anyone can get you a SIM only contract. Numbers are portable in HK - you won't lose your number. You can walk into a 7-11 and buy a prepaid SIM and port your number, for example! Or just compare the major carriers online and then ring them up and negotiate. brown geek blog spot (just google that and I think you will find it) has some good discussions in the various option.

I never go for the ones that include the phones, I have never found one that actually makes sense as most are just fancy ways of paying for the phone over time (and I can afford to buy the phone outright). And if you are moving away from HK, even more likely to be a good idea!
Sorry but I was not very familiar with the SIM only data contracts. I have used the pay-as-you-go calling SIM cards before though. Went to the PCCW or CSL shops to arrange it but never directly from a 7-11 store. I assume it works the same for data SIM cards?

I checked out the brown geek blog that you mentioned. The prices discussed on it do not compare very well to the prices being mentioned here.

I agree with you on the lack of deals on the package offers. There are only small savings based on my calculations of the packages I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
I believe that the OP is a bit of an audiophile, maybe the best sounding one with hd audio, or allows O.T.G DAC ( outboard processing for audio, cumbersome for portable but simple for home dacs or usage with a high end av amplifier/cd player with usb in) or built in digital noise cancellation.
Thanks for the note. At this time I am not picky about audio quality on the phone since I can always use a portable DAC/amp when necessary. Not good for mobility so I usually only use it when on longer commutes and hands are not full.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
I pay $68 + $18 tunnel fee = $86 total per month, 12 month contract. Sun mobile (CSL network). Unlimited data but restricted to 3G 384kbps. Tethering to laptops etc is allowed. ...

I cannot understand people paying hundreds of $$ per month for 4G with data caps. 3G is perfectly fine and unlimited for $86 a month.
bdw, you always come up with useful/helpful information. I am currently on CSL and also still on 3G since I only have the 3G version of Note 2. Does that mean that the service I have now will be the same under the plan that you are suggesting? The same as the $227 plan that they are offering as a corporate offer??? What is Sun mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
That's steep, I've just got on the PCCW friends of staff package. HK$99 per month for unlimited calls, SMS and LTE with no throttling.
This is only for PCCW friends of staff? I don't think I have any friends that work there.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
Ive been on the $86 Sun/CSL plan for a few years...signal strength is crap on the mtr (esp kwun tong line for some reason...) methinks it's time to up sticks....hell must be frosty if i'm considering going back to pccw...
I'm another Canuck too. I have problems on CSL while in the mtr at rush hour too.