Disagreement about the last month of rent with landlord => urgent !

Closed Thread

Disagreement about the last month of rent with landlord => urgent !

Hello guys,

I leave my flat today so the 27th of November and already paid the full month (running to 10th of December)

What happened exactly : The landlord visited the flat to check everything and told me not to pay the entire month for this last month, but he told me too late and it was impossible for me to cancel the automatic payment. Then he told me that its fine and he will refund me the difference.

(I also have respected the 2 months of safety to terminate the tenancy agreement the 27th of November.)

Now, he finally changed his mind and told me yesterday that he does not have to refund me because its not a rent day by day, and will only refund me the deposit.

Does anyone have some clues concerning my situation? Rents in HK are very expensive, and it represents 13 days of rent, which is a good amount of money.

Do I have the right to claim the difference of rent?

Thank you for quick answers !

The landlord is not required to refund anything apart from the deposit, but some landlords are nice enough to do so.

What does your contract say in writing?

He's right because rent is calculated monthly unless your contract says otherwise.

Are you leaving earlier than your rent contract? Your post implies that the rental contract is valid till the 10th of December, but you gave 2 months notice and set the termination date to 27th of November.

If the landlord agreed to the termination date, check your contract again. I do think you have some wiggle room if the landlord accepted a termination date - i.e. terminated your agreement on a certain date. Regardless of what your contract says, it ends on the 27th of November (assuming thats what the landlord agreed) and you don't owe him any money beyond that period.