Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By bdw

Equipment Needed for TV from US

Closed Thread

Equipment Needed for TV from US

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sony TV which I brought over from the states. Below is a photo with the model number, voltage, etc. It's 120V 60Hz 285W

Anyone know exactly what I need to get for this to work in HK, and will it even work at all?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nscohen:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Sony TV which I brought over from the states. Below is a photo with the model number, voltage, etc. It's 120V 60Hz 285W

Anyone know exactly what I need to get for this to work in HK, and will it even work at all?

Thanks!

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/117/thread69253.html

Note Digital ATSC tv transmission is not available in HK, NTSC tv transmission also not available, so you won't get an terrestrial tv

Cable ( ie, now tv and icable) paid subscribed services should be ok
    emx likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You'll need a step-down transformer, or something like that.

Either wait for someone more knowledgeable than I to come along. Or do a search on this website. It's a question that is answered often here.

Edit: Cheers Shri. Knew someone would correct me.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 16-12-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: step down ... not up ...

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/117/thread69253.html

Note Digital ATSC tv transmission is not available in HK, NTSC tv transmission also not available, so you won't get an terrestrial tv

Cable ( ie, now tv and icable) paid subscribed services should be ok
    Step down transformer is needed, also , relatively high wattage one, something like 500watts, please note that these step down transformers are energy efficient and can even emit a bit of heat. the major stores on ap liu st, sham shui po is best bet, try avoid the market stalls, major stores such as WECL

華輝電子 (集團) 有限公司

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You'll need a step-down transformer, or something like that.

Either wait for someone more knowledgeable than I to come along. Or do a search on this website. It's a question that is answered often here.
    Not step up ( that's in - 120v to 240v - out) transformer
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

That's a 6 year old 46 inch TV? You probably should have left it behind and can get a new Samsung 48 inch 4K TV such as UA48HU5900JX for HK$5300 with official Samsung warranty or $3060 grey market (still brand new but not sure about the warranty).

muzzdang likes this.

Assuming you can get the voltage sorted, you can just get a set-top box and connect it to the TV to get digital reception.