Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By pkboy
  • 1 Post By Eldivo

Buy present for HK girlfriend when I'm in UK

Closed Thread

Buy present for HK girlfriend when I'm in UK

Hi, I hope someone can help me please.

I am away in the UK until March 2015. I want to buy my girlfriend a present who is in Shenzhen, but she comes to HK often.

Does anyone know of a way I can contact a company in HK and pay for a present from the UK so that she can collect it when she's in HK?

I have purchased flowers online from uk , sent to HK address 10 years ago, other ways, amazon cn and taobao sends to a cn address (hk address is possible, bit more trickier)

there is quite a few items can be purchased online (nike, gap, etc) also sony and broadway electronics have online store, even apple hk has online store, a uk credit card should be fine (probably even used chip and pin references as well)

Groupon HK is another way of purchasing

Like imparanoic suggested, flowers are possible. But why not make a donation for her to an organization that does good for the world? Does she like animals? You could donate to the HK SPCA or WWF (World Wildlife Fund). If she likes kids then you could donate to an organization like Mother's Choice (helping young mothers in HK and offering adoption services) or Viva (helping children in poor areas of developing countries). That's just to name a few -- the sky's the limit.

(Does anyone really need anymore trinkets anyway?)

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Like imparanoic suggested, flowers are possible. But why not make a donation for her to an organization that does good for the world? Does she like animals? You could donate to the HK SPCA or WWF (World Wildlife Fund). If she likes kids then you could donate to an organization like Mother's Choice (helping young mothers in HK and offering adoption services) or Viva (helping children in poor areas of developing countries). That's just to name a few -- the sky's the limit.

(Does anyone really need anymore trinkets anyway?)
    I'd just love to see the girlfriends face if given this "present". IMHO there are some things that you do for yourself, and giving to charity is one of them, you can't do it on behalf of someone else... just doesn't work.

Make a donation in her name to the Human Fund, Happy Festivus!

irisboards likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'd just love to see the girlfriends face if given this "present". IMHO there are some things that you do for yourself, and giving to charity is one of them, you can't do it on behalf of someone else... just doesn't work.
    Well, I'm simply sad to see so much waste go into "presents". Buying things for the sake of it. (I was slightly traumatized as a kid by presents I simply did not want or have any use for, and then having grumpy relatives calling me "ungrateful"!) Even now Hong Kong has to build a new incinerator, which is going to pollute our air even more and destroy a beautiful natural habitat, because they cannot manage all the waste they have. Never mind the environmental cost to build trinkets, gadgets, products and ship them around the earth.

So, I was simply trying to suggest other ways of giving and telling someone you care about them than buying a material object that may or may not be of good use and value to someone. I personally would be pretty darn happy if I knew some money was going to an organization I cared about, since I, thankfully, don't have any real material needs. I'd love a membership to the SPCA, which I never got around to getting!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A gift certificate for her favourite spa.

Experiences not things.

Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.

Is your girlfriend Chinese? You may need to give more than just flowers. A Chanel handbag will increase the chances of touching fingertips.

jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldivo:
    Is your girlfriend Chinese? You may need to give more than just flowers. A Chanel handbag will increase the chances of touching fingertips.
    Two Tins of milk powder and an iPhone 6 will go down well too.