Like Tree166Likes

Does being overly frugal make sense ?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I don't want to be seen as tight like some people I know. If the meal was $92 each and we're in a group I'm not expecting or demanding my change back.
    I would not be insulted if my friends thought of me as frugal. Wouldn't bother me in the least. Also, not getting change back on a $92 tab would not bother most people (assuming you paid with a $100 bill). However, expecting to shell out $1000 but only consuming $400 worth of food / drinks would. That's a big discrepancy. Jimbo, you mentioned the only time you have an issue with splitting a bill equally is when others are buying bottles of wine while you are nursing a soda or non-alcoholic beverage. How is that different from what Cara is saying? Since you don't mind splitting a bill equally in a group setting, may I join you for a meal sometime?
    vikulya likes this.

Live in a public housing unit, buy rice and eggs in bulk, have minimum electrical appliances especially ones that sap energy over time, spend your time sitting around in a park, use public toilet for water and self hygene. What are you gonna do after you save all that money? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by dctoki:
    I would not be insulted if my friends thought of me as frugal. Wouldn't bother me in the least. Also, not getting change back on a $92 tab would not bother most people (assuming you paid with a $100 bill). However, expecting to shell out $1000 but only consuming $400 worth of food / drinks would. That's a big discrepancy. Jimbo, you mentioned the only time you have an issue with splitting a bill equally is when others are buying bottles of wine while you are nursing a soda or non-alcoholic beverage. How is that different from what Cara is saying? Since you don't mind splitting a bill equally in a group setting, may I join you for a meal sometime?
    The food difference is likely to be $150-$200 or so, I'm not bothered about that sort of discrepancy but when you're looking at a few bottles of wine at $600 a pop then thats when the costs add up and I won't subsidise that part of it.

And the answer to your question is, If you're female and attractive then sure why not. Otherwise No

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Although you will note from the various replies, quite a few people would consider that to be expensive. So that's fine, provided you never make friends with anyone more frugal than yourself!
    Yes I have frugal friends but then if I know they're going to whinge and moan about the price then they're not invited. Plain and Simple.

Yes I have frugal friends but then if I know they're going to whinge and moan about the price then they're not invited. Plain and Simple.
    Being friend with The Jimbo is no easy task!

To clarify some things... I don't mind having a nice evening out, but dinner with work mates is not something I particularly wish to splurge on. As far as my familiarity with the restaurant, It was a buffet at a small hotel. I had at first thought the company would pay for it, as that's the norm where I'm from, but figured it would'nt be that expensive even if I did hav to pay. Ass for people's ideas on what is expensive, it is a sad thing in Hong Kong that what a secretary or the junior associates make is world's apart from middle management.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannie:
    Ass for people's ideas on what is expensive, it is a sad thing in Hong Kong that what a secretary or the junior associates make is world's apart from middle management.
    Did you really just compare a secretary's job (and thus wages) to management?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Being friend with The Jimbo is no easy task!
    It's not easy being me either lol

Seriously though if people don't want to spend that amount then it's easier for everybody if they're not invited in the first place, there's no awkwardness when they decline the invite and they don't feel obliged to go.

Need to try and strike a happy balance for my big birthday celebration next year. That's the tough one.

Need to try and strike a happy balance for my big birthday celebration next year. That's the tough one.
    I'll be waiting for my invite Jimbo.

Oh, and you know my max spending limit already :P

I'd assume a "+HKD4.000 pair of shoes/+HKD1.000 shirt" man would pay for all his guests.

Don't be a cheapie.
    bookblogger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast