Like Tree96Likes

Questions regarding Yuen Long? I can help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mr nobody:
    Question: Why is Yuen Long so skanky?
    becoz you've yet to discover the real yuen long.

If you'd like to escape the over crowed town center, I'd recommend rent yourself a bike for HKD$10 near Long Ping MTR Station and cycle alone the bike path towards Ping Sha, or the opposite direction towards Nam Sang Wai.

You can also take a short break by visiting the nearby Fairview Park or take a historical walk to Kat Hing Wai.

In short, you really need to be the type of person that are willing to learn and be part of the culture to enjoy this part of Hong Kong; if not, maybe is time for you to move back to the "gwai lo" friendly part of the city (e.g. Central, Happy Valley, Tsim Sha Tsui)

Cheers.

Are there any decent Village house in Yuen Long priced under $10K near the west rail. Would rail and MTR be the fasting way to get to and from Central during rush hour?

Quote Originally Posted by cw1483:
    Are there any decent Village house in Yuen Long priced under $10K near the west rail. Would rail and MTR be the fasting way to get to and from Central during rush hour?
    There are a number of choice under 10k if you can accept 15 mins open roof walk from Long Ping or Kam Sheung Road Station; however this 2 stations would be a little far away from the Yuen Long Town Center. As I've pointed out on the last page, the fastest way to Central from Yuen Long Town Center during rush hour would be via Residents' Bus. Off-rush is about the same between 968 and MTR. But this is only the case if you live near town center.

1) There is this place called "the Prestige" or known as 地利黃金閣, they are a brand new village house development consisting of about 150 houses. You can get a flat there for as little as 7.5k a month. It is about a 15mins walk from MTR Long Ping Station and that's it, not within walking distance to anywhere else.

2) Kwan Lok Sun Tsuen 鈞樂新村 is located 10 mins walk away from Yuen Long Station and Town Center. It goes for as low as 8K but the place is over 20 years in age and looks quite tired.

3) Tung Tau Tsuen and Sai Pin Wai is about 10 mins walk from MTR Yuen Long Station, not within walking distance to shopping. However you can walk to Sun Yuen Long Center from there.

4) Kam Tin Town Center is about 10-15mins walk (depends on location) from MTR Kam Sheung Road Station, you could find yourself a 450sq ft unit for less than 5K if you're lucky. Buy a bike and you're all set to go. Walking distance from Wellcome Supermarket, Post Office and Police Station. Quite large number of non-Chinese in the area, majority of them South Asian with a small mix of White.

Cheers.
    cw1483 and bookblogger like this.

For bread my bakery of choice is this one

Google Maps

They do really nice baguettes. I really dislike most of the bread from the supermarkets.

hi mr yl man

where is best and cost effective place to park to go to following places, if the street parking ( which is closest ) are that full then where is the best multi level/under ground/elevated for alternative parking :-

kam tin sushi 金田 ?

kei kee dessert/b仔涼粉?

any other places decent to eat that worth travelling from fanling?

Last edited by imparanoic; 12-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    hi mr yl man

where is best and cost effective place to park to go to following places, if the street parking ( which is closest ) are that full then where is the best multi level/under ground/elevated for alternative parking :-

kam tin sushi 金田 ?

kei kee dessert/b仔涼粉?

any other places decent to eat that work?
    Kam Tin Sushi - Corner of Tai Shu Ha Road East and Ma Tong Road have an open roof carpark, it used to be $5/hr, I'm not sure now.

Kai Kee Dessert - Which one you're talking about? The New one you can park at Transportation Building (交通廣場) if you're talking about the old one than same as above.

What kind of food are you looking for? Here is a list of Car-Friendly restaurant that I often visit in Yuen Long.

1) Golden Castle Restaurant - DD114, Sheung Tsuen, Shek Kong, Pat Heung, Kam Tin (http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...htm?shopid=975)

2) Sawadee Thai - Inside Sun Kong Hotel near Au Tau Yuen Long (Sawadee Thai - Thai Seafood in Jordan - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English)

3) Eggplant Thai Viet Cuisine - Fung Yau Street South, plenty of street parking around, if not Yoho Town car park is just 5 mins away. (Eggplant Thai Viet Cuisine - Thai in Yuen Long - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English)

4) Farm Milk Co. Ltd. - Tai Mo Shan inside Tai Mo Shan Country Park, this will need a bit of navigation to find. It is off to a small service road from Route Twisk. This place is one of the last places in Hong Kong with its own Dairy Farm and they serve fresh milk onsite. Great weekend activity. (Farm Milk Co. Ltd. - Hong Kong Style Snack Shop & Deli in Yuen Long - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English)

Believe me I've been all over Yuen Long in my day...and it's a disgusting hole.
    Great post!
    Not quite as informative as the ones from timothy_tw but thats ok.....no one is obligated beyond their capabilities

Oop! Too shay!
    Touche (with the French accent)? LOL.......too shay.......!!!!

I can recommend 'dah lang' in Yuen Long, on the street just round the corner from B仔涼粉, you can't miss is, tables and plastic stools all over the street, there's a stall there called 'Jing Kee', absolutely fantastic food, at great prices and very generously sized portions.

Ofc, there's the famous 'wife cakes' from Wing Wah and Hung Heung there.

B仔涼粉 is over-rated. Sure the portions are HUGE, but nothing fancy about them, and there's rumours the desserts because they are so big meaning lots of leftovers are 'recycled'.......

A good friend of mine owns a 'cha chan teng' in YL, just 2 shops down from the birth place of Hui Lau Shan.

As for village houses right next to the West Railway, there are some available, you need to know the right agent. A friend of mine moved into one about 6 months ago. Its one of those narrow village house, all 3 floors plus roof terrace for HK$6000.

I pass through YL every week, as I visit my dog in Lau Fau Shan. YL has definitely grown on me, and the missus and I are seriously considering getting one of those village houses when we do move.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Touche (with the French accent)? LOL.......too shay.......!!!!

I can recommend 'dah lang' in Yuen Long, on the street just round the corner from B仔涼粉, you can't miss is, tables and plastic stools all over the street, there's a stall there called 'Jing Kee', absolutely fantastic food, at great prices and very generously sized portions.

Ofc, there's the famous 'wife cakes' from Wing Wah and Hung Heung there.

B仔涼粉 is over-rated. Sure the portions are HUGE, but nothing fancy about them, and there's rumours the desserts because they are so big meaning lots of leftovers are 'recycled'.......

A good friend of mine owns a 'cha chan teng' in YL, just 2 shops down from the birth place of Hui Lau Shan.

As for village houses right next to the West Railway, there are some available, you need to know the right agent. A friend of mine moved into one about 6 months ago. Its one of those narrow village house, all 3 floors plus roof terrace for HK$6000.

I pass through YL every week, as I visit my dog in Lau Fau Shan. YL has definitely grown on me, and the missus and I are seriously considering getting one of those village houses when we do move.
    Dah Lang is definitely a must try, but I'd recommend to go with someone who speaks Cantonese if yourself don't.

Where can you get the non branded refillable ink cartridges that you can buy in Sham Shui Po? :-)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast