Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huja

Help please! my dog is losing fur :(

Closed Thread

Help please! my dog is losing fur :(

My dog has this bald spot on the back of his knee, the fur is all gone now and the skin is turning red. Does anyone know what it is?

Take the dog to a vet. It could be something as simple as an allergic reaction, but it could also be something more serious.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotso118:
    My dog has this bald spot on the back of his knee, the fur is all gone now and the skin is turning red. Does anyone know what it is?
    My dog had this problem. It started with knees rubbing against the hard tile surfaces of the bathroom - where he liked to lie when it was hot. Then once the elbows got raw, he would lick them. The licking, repeated irritation from the hard floor and the humidity kept them from fully healing on their own.

The vet prescribed a non-alcohol antiseptic to clean the area and an antibacterial cream to apply after cleaning. We did this twice a day. Other times I would apply 100% aloe extract to the elbows.

He also recommended a ventilated, mesh bed like this so the skin could breathe.

I also added some fish oil to his diet for the Omega 3 oils to boost his skin health. GNC sells fish oil for dogs. You could also just puncture fish oil gel caps meant for human consumption.

After doing all this, the skin didn't heal completely but it didn't get any worse. It only cleared up 100% once we brought him back to the U.S.

My vet was Dr Ian at Hong Kong Vet Center in Wan Chai.

Good luck
    Last edited by huja; 01-06-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    kimwy66 likes this.

We got our dog this exact bed when we came to Hong Kong, best thing for keeping him cool and comfortable. No nasties lurking in a mattress. He loves it so much he won't sleep anywhere without it. when we take it on the roof and hose it down he is up there trying to climb on it.

Just got enough replacement covers to last him into old age from Amazon, so he's a happy pooch.

food allergies are usually butt and feet...
    but it wouldt hurt to switch him to lamb or fish and see if that makes a ifference...

belly and inner leg hair loss are usually a reaction to something hes laying on on a regular basis, either an allergy to grass/grass pollen, somehting you spray on your grass, fleas/ants or whatever your using to wash/spray your linnens (ie your laundry detergent, or febreeze ect)

A dog we used to have got these "hot spots". It was a reaction to flea bites, which he was scratching and licking like mad.

Looks like an infection or allergic reaction of a severe sort if it's looking this bad. Also check for ringworm. Straight to the vet for this pup. I hope he recovers soon.