Like Tree4Likes

unlimited sim

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unlimited sim

I want an unlimited data plan, preferably capped at 200-350kbit minimum. I have found some old webpages saying that China mobile does one for $38 HKD a month for EDGE 2g data which is maxed out at about 200~kbit is that correct? Are there any other month to month plans or 6 month contracts with cheap data?

Thanks

What are you going to use it for? EDGE 2G is crazy slow and not much practical use unless you want to do very basic emailing etc etc.

Browse websites (news / forums / whatever), whatsapp, other messaging stuf.. sending pictures etc.

Forget about doing most of that stuff on a 2G connection. On the occasions when my connection has dropped to 2G, even my Whatsapp struggles to connect and sending basic IM is slow. Simple emails take minutes to download, websites take even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I think a few networks do unlimited capped 3g connections, have a look at them.

12free service provider cold calling my mrs and they were offering $68 a month with 10gb data but need to sign 1 year contract.

Unlimited 3G plan capped speed @384kbps
    CMHK $68+$12 (12months then $128)
    Smartone $68+$12 (6months)
    NewWorld (CSL) $80 (12months)

Custard Cream likes this.

Does anyone have any experience with the SmarTone $68+$12 (6 month) service mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by Custard Cream:
    Does anyone have any experience with the SmarTone $68+$12 (6 month) service mentioned above?
    That's what I'm on - it works fine. No tethering (on iPhone anyway), but fast enough for me. I don't walk around playing video on my phone, and even for Skype calls it's sufficient. I stream radio from abroad all the time in the car - which is why I opted for this plan, instead of a capped 4G one which would make me nervous and calculative about my usage.

One of my email accounts (IMAP) seem to load quite slow - that is probably a kink in Smartone's intl. connection to that particular server.

For tethering, I have a separate Netvigator SIM with 500mb data only for a wifi device - still only 3G, and I feel it's somewhat faster, but I still like this setup for the unlimited phone usage (rather than a capped one I can tether from)

Custard Cream and shri like this.

Thanks for the feedback on this tparker.

I will give it a go. A couple of other questions....

1) How easy is it to sign up, what do they require from you, etc.?

2) I'm assuming you've been on the plan longer than 6 months. What happens after that min. 6 month period?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast