Like Tree25Likes

Training ideas for Mt. Kinabalu

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

@Elegiaque - screw the poles, hoka shoes and all and just go this way:.

Elegiaque likes this.

Hiya, so I have some more questions about Mount Kinabalu:

1. What do you wear for sleeping in at the lodge? I've heard it's cold. (We've booked the private room, though!)
    2. Do you bring a sleeping bag liner for the lodge, or is it pretty clean with sufficient blankets?
    3. What socks do you recommend for 5'10s, particularly if it's going to be cold? The ones I've been wearing are pretty slippery, and I've never quite found the right sock. I tend to wear them with light socks, but if the shoe itself is pretty breathable (=cold), then I'll probably need something a bit thicker, warm, and not so slippery.
    4. Any snack suggestions that I should prepare to bring? We can always take walnuts and dried fruit. Maybe some cliffbars.
    5. We were thinking of staying at the J Residence when we come down, but is it easy to get a bus/taxi from the Park Headquarters to Koto Kinabalu? We were thinking it might be more comfortable after we come down to get straight into a taxi and go to a nicer hotel in town. We've read conflicting things about taxis around there. Any general suggestions about where to stay or what the best plan is for when we come down? Have an afternoon flight the day after we get down.

Been practicing with the poles, but I've somehow triggered the chronic neck pain I get. Was going back and forth between the poles and no poles yesterday, and found I kept somehow kinking my neck and leaning on them too much and becoming stiff. Pity! Will have to continue to do some research on how to hike with them, but I might plan on not using them unless it's truly necessary. Did Ngong Ping to Mui Wo this week. Not the greatest challenge, but it'll have to do, and it was still a pretty good experience. Feeling a bit more confident now.

Do any of you ever go for these foot massages after a lot of training to work out the lactic acid in the calve muscles? Anyone find it particularly helpful?

Thanks very much for all the comments and information so far! It's been great to get this feedback here.

1. What do you wear for sleeping in at the lodge? I've heard it's cold. (We've booked the private room, though!)

I never wear anything to sleep unless I am in a shared room so I doubt you have to worry too much. There are many different private rooms, so I don't know which one you are in... The first time we did it we were in a 4 person shared room with bathroom down the hall. It was FREEZING. We slept in our clothes. The second time we did it we were in a private room. It was fine. Heated, with duvets and towels and all mod cons (although the beds were still bunks!).

2. Do you bring a sleeping bag liner for the lodge, or is it pretty clean with sufficient blankets?
    As above, first time in the shared room it was horrible and we slept in our own sleeping bags. Second time, nice sheets and duvets no problem at all.

3. What socks do you recommend for 5'10s, particularly if it's going to be cold? The ones I've been wearing are pretty slippery, and I've never quite found the right sock. I tend to wear them with light socks, but if the shoe itself is pretty breathable (=cold), then I'll probably need something a bit thicker, warm, and not so slippery.

I usually wear wigwam socks - the coolmax variety for the way up and the wool type for the top. Wool socks would be the best for the top as they stay warm even when wet.

4. Any snack suggestions that I should prepare to bring? We can always take walnuts and dried fruit. Maybe some cliffbars.
    Entirely up to you. You can buy snacks at the hotel although if I recall they were reasonably expensive. Worth it not to have to carry them up though!

5. We were thinking of staying at the J Residence when we come down, but is it easy to get a bus/taxi from the Park Headquarters to Koto Kinabalu? We were thinking it might be more comfortable after we come down to get straight into a taxi and go to a nicer hotel in town. We've read conflicting things about taxis around there.

Both times we did it we hired a car. Buses all looked rather hit and miss to me, and some were very crowded and uncomfortable. Some people go to the place with the hot pools at the end, but both times we went straight back to KK for a nice relaxing hotel. (Le Meridien, both times)

As for poles kinking necks - no experience there at all.....sorry!

Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5