Like Tree1Likes

Need a Chiropractor!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a Chiropractor!

Hello,

I just moved from Tokyo to HKG. I used to see a chiro in Tokyo for mid-back pain. I need to find a reliable one here since I am still in the middle of treatment. Can someone recommend a chiropractor? I'm in pain.

Also, I'm confused about how the insurance thing works here. So most chiros/physical therapists will accept insurance but one has to see and get a referral from a general physician first? How does it work?

Thanks in advance!

Most expat schemes would involve you seeing a GP (perhaps a GP approved by the insurance companies) who would then recommend you to see a chiropractor. Again, if you're in a network, then the GP will most likely recommend someone in that network.

Best to check your policy to see if it covers chiropractors and then hope that this does not fall under existing conditions and is not covered.

Do you have an HR person or an agent who you could talk to about the insurance?

Dr. Barry Decker
    The Chiropractic Centre
    tel: 29730353

Index of /

Sorry, but after having seen Barry Decker for a few months I have to strongly disagree with Neha.
    If you need a dogmatic life style guru, go and see him. If you need a good Chiropractor, see someone else.
    I see Dr. Heidi Petrick, Tel: 22349668 and can highly recommend her.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful.

agree with Craig about Dr Cosman. Also, insurance will cover if (as mentioned) a GP has referred you for most packages.

Has anyone heard of Dr. Bruce Vaughan? I've been doing a lot of research on chiropractors and his name has come up a few times as another good choice - he is rather experienced it seems. Also heard about Herman Sezto at the Cosman group.

Also, do you feel that your chiros subject you to a lot of X-rays, ultrasounds, etc.? I'm asking because I definitely want someone who will not have me take unnecessary X-rays and such.

Lastly, while we are on the subject of bones and muscles, can anyone recommend a good massage place?

Happy New Year everyone!

cosman is good but a little cranky!

Agree that Cosman's a little cranky but he describes himself as a "cranky old man," so it's all pretty benign. I've just had a very good experience with him and recommend him highly.

There's always a fear that any health practitioner, whether out of good or bad intentions, will hope you never get cured. Since I am not (nor have I ever been) an annuity, that's not an attitude that I want to see.

I also don't like feeling like I'm being sold a bill of irrelevant goods. My previous experience with a chiropractor, in New York, left a very sour aftertaste when I realized he was less interested in healing my back than in pushing a very dubious (but exceptionally expensive) line of nutrition supplements. (I suspect that at best, they're no better than what Duane Reade sells under its house brand.)

Cosman passed on both counts. I just had my third and last appointment with him after I threw my back out two weekends ago. As he adjusted me today, he clucked that "it's a shame you got better so soon, I won't make much money off of you!" I really, really appreciated that: he was giving me the care I needed, but no more.

He also mentioned in our initial consultation that he has a company that makes orthotics for feet. I have a hugely expensive pair that my podiatrist had made for me a couple of years ago. Cosman suggested that I bring them in for comparison. I nodded, did nothing, and he never mentioned it again.

All in all, I'm feeling much better and I'm not too much the poorer for it, so that's about as good an endorsement I can think of.

My focus and enthusiasm might be confused with crankiness.
    Thanks for the compliment hrp10.
    Dr. David Cosman

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast