Like Tree6Likes

Questions about what to bring with me and moving...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about what to bring with me and moving...

Hello all,

I'm moving to Hong Kong in a little under a month for my PhD. I've lived abroad before, so I'm a little prepared for major differences. I also have an acquaintance that lives in Hong Kong who has answered some of my questions, but her answers normally amount to "don't worry" (not that I expect much from her answers...she's a very easy going person who doesn't worry about much). So I'm coming to you guys hoping that you can give me more details. I hope my questions aren't too stupid! I'm just getting nervous and like to be prepared!

Basically, I've decided to live in Halls my first year since I don't know the area and didn't want to add looking for a place on top of the change. I don't really mind sharing a room and it'll be very convenient to campus. Everything is pretty much prepared, but I do know that bedding is not supplied.

So therein lies my first question: Is it easy to find cheap bedding right when I get there or should I bring sheets with me (I'm already packing my pillow)? I don't know anything about shopping in HK.

Also:

• Are there machines in the airport that I can get a sim card for my iPhone 5 (it takes a nano-sim)? Preferably one2three as that's the one my friend recommends.
    • Should I bring my winter coat for the winter or will my leather jacket suffice?
    • Are there any China Construction Bank ATMs located in HK? My bank here is a sister to them and will allow me to use their ATMs.
    • Which bank would you recommend for me to setup when I get there (for my stipend): Citibanks, HSBC, or Hang Seng? Or is there a way that I can setup my bank from outside of the country...like through a HSBC in my country?
    • Is there anything else you think I should know or be asking?

Basically, I've decided to live in Halls my first year since I don't know the area and didn't want to add looking for a place on top of the change. I don't really mind sharing a room and it'll be very convenient to campus. Everything is pretty much prepared, but I do know that bedding is not supplied.

I thought it was only the US that did shared bedrooms for university though I could be wrong. Are you sure that HK universities involve shared bedrooms? I'd be surprised if PhD students would be expected to share bedrooms.

So therein lies my first question: Is it easy to find cheap bedding right when I get there or should I bring sheets with me (I'm already packing my pillow)? I don't know anything about shopping in HK.

Bedding is easy to find in department stores (Wing On, Justco).

Are there machines in the airport that I can get a sim card for my iPhone 5 (it takes a nano-sim)? Preferably one2three as that's the one my friend recommends.

Don't bother at the airport, there are phone stores scattered all over HK and you can get prepaid SIM cards at 7-11.

Should I bring my winter coat for the winter or will my leather jacket suffice?

What country are you from? If it's a country with real winters (Canada, US, much of Europe) then a light jacket coat will be fine and you may well spend your first winter walking around in jeans and a t-shirt whilst locals are wrapped in down parkas.

Which bank would you recommend for me to setup when I get there (for my stipend): Citibanks, HSBC, or Hang Seng? Or is there a way that I can setup my bank from outside of the country...like through a HSBC in my country?

It doesn't matter from a service perspective, most banks are the same. Citibank has relatively fewer branches though so that may be less convenient if you need to go into branches for teller services though. IIRC HSBC will help you set up accounts in other countries if you are a Premier member. But for most people, it's not practical to do this from overseas.
    Last edited by jgl; 24-07-2014 at 05:38 AM.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I thought it was only the US that did shared bedrooms for university though I could be wrong. Are you sure that HK universities involve shared bedrooms? I'd be surprised if PhD students would be expected to share bedrooms.
    Sadly, I do share a bedroom with one other person and a bathroom between 4 of us...there are 80 beds in a graduate section of halls so I count myself lucky to just get in.

Bedding is easy to find in department stores (Wing On, Justco).
    Are these department stores pretty common? And are they cheap? I'm going to be tight on money until my first stipend payment.

What country are you from? If it's a country with real winters (Canada, US, much of Europe) then a light jacket coat will be fine and you may well spend your first winter walking around in jeans and a t-shirt whilst locals are wrapped in down parkas.
    I just came from the UK winter, but spent a lot of time living in Florida in the USA. From what I've read on the weather, it seems pretty similar to Florida. I think I will leave my coat from what you've said. So, thanks!

Depends on how busy you will be for the first few days and where your halls are located. You will probably look to have bedding on the first night, and what with other priorities on the first day, going out to buy bedding I'm guessing is not going to be high up on the list, so I'd suggest to bring one set with you.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quite a few CCB ATMs: http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/per...g_locator.html

You could even open an account at CCB. Friendly staff with reasonable English. Small queues. A very different from HSBC / HangSeng. It is part of the jetco ATM network, so you have lots of ATMs that you can use in Hong Kong.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Depends on how busy you will be for the first few days and where your halls are located. You will probably look to have bedding on the first night, and what with other priorities on the first day, going out to buy bedding I'm guessing is not going to be high up on the list, so I'd suggest to bring one set with you.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app
    This. Department stores are not the best places for cheap bedding. Even the Chinese department stores, e.g. Chinese Goods, aren't the cheapy cheap places they used to be.

Definitely bring one set of bedding with you. If you need 100% cotton, then I think Ikea will be cheaper than Jusco/Aeon or Wing on.
    If you're OK with cheap'n'cheerful poly-cotton blends, then head for Japan Home Stores, Pricerite or DSC (branches everywhere).

I'd say buy some from Target. Quality and price is still better than what's on offer here and if you can afford the room. Bring toiletries and meds that you absolutely can't live without. That's what I always haul back when I go back for a visit.

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app

I am also moving to HK very soon. Been there before.

If PhD at HKU, there is a HSBC on campus and a Chinese bank. If I remember right, HKU uses Hang Seng. If you do not have a HSBC premier account, HSBC charges you an arm or a leg to set it up from where you are.

I am not bringing my winter jackets. Just my waterproof trench, given that I was once caught up in HK's lovely typhoon seasons before. If I get too cold, there is always Uniqlo.

Usually for postgrads in certain halls, you usually get your own room. But depends on which uni you go to.

Also remember to start booking ur appt to make your HKID, you need to do so within 30 days after landing. I already did so ahead of time.

If you are allocated your own room, get those fumigating insect bombing stuff. That is the first thing I will do, drop my luggage (the coverings have permethrin on them) and go out to the nearest supermarket for that. Bed bugs I hate them! Got them from a HK hotel before. But then again, I am a clean freak. So that's optional.

Hi,

A couple of things to note:

1) Sometimes the "same" bank in Hong Kong is actually a different legal entity than the bank branch bank home. Citibank HK and Citibank USA are different entities, and transferring money between the two is (may be / once was) treated the same as if you were transferring from Alpha Bank to Zulu Bank. There was no real benefit. HSBC Premier does allow you to link accounts between US-UK-HK banks and transfer money around, but not sure about normal accounts.

2) If you are buying bedding in the USA, note that HK/UK bed sizes are different from USA bed sizes. Generally the USA beds are larger so you'll have a bit extra sheets draping over. One other aside some people really like thick fluffy American towels, but if you are going to be air-drying your laundry these will take quite a while to get dry.

3) I'm from a cold part of the USA and I generally get by with a jacket during the winter, but I do have a winter coat and on a couple of occasions I've used it in Hong Kong. I've frequently used it when traveling in Asia (Beijing, Korea, Tokyo) or to Europe during the holidays. If there is any chance you'll head North during the Winter breaks, you'll appreciate having that coat (and gloves and a scarf). Uniqlo also makes some ultra thin long underwear that I've worn a few times during the winter as well. I would actually recommend some very warm sleeping clothes as many flats in Hong Kong have no heat and it gets quite chilly some Winter nights.

Note your body will adjust to being in warmer weather so while your first year you're all "this is nothing" by year 2 you may be feeling it a bit.

4) If you are an 'average' UK or US-sized person, you'll be 'large' here. If you are slightly heavier, or have say a big head or big feet, you'll find a number of things here simply don't fit or your selection will be quite limited. While I'm a USA 'medium' for clothes I buy HK 'large' size, and things like socks and shoes (size 11.5 USA) are basically non-starters here. Sure you can find the odd one here or there or at Marks and Spencer, but nothing like the variety you had back home. I also have a bigger head so I had problems buying a hat (and if you want to go outdoors hiking, a sun or boonie hat is a good idea).

5) If there is something you really like, saying Cinnamon Crunch Flavored Colgate Toothpaste, buy a bunch of it back home and bring it here. Yes, you might be able (after searching 20 stores) find the same flavor here, but it's often easier (and cheaper) with unique Western specialty items to buy in bulk back in the US and bring over here. When we head home we take empty suitcases and return with all sorts of items from Amazon/Costco/Walmart, like shampoo and toothpaste and certain foods that are harder to find here in Hong Kong. I estimated the savings at about $1,500 per suitcase vs. buying the same items / size here in Hong Kong.

Good luck with your new adventure.

HK_Katherine, blackwings and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast