Like Tree10Likes

Best insomnia cure?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Best insomnia cure?

Other than sleeping pills, what's the best cure for insomnia? Happening too often lately! Note time of post, been awake 2 hours

dear giant likes this.

when i really cant sleep i try to imagine reading the most boring engineering textbook and i am out like a light

Try valerian root supplements. A co-worker who travels a lot swears by it to combat jet lag.

I think that insomnia has different causes for different people (the old Anna Karenina principle). How you deal with it will depend on its cause in your case.

During periods in my life when I've had difficulty falling asleep, the difficulty was due mostly to anxiety and my mind not being able to let go of what seemed like insoluble problems/issues, churning, and trying to figure out solutions. The solution for me was to take steps to resolve the things that I could and accept that some things were outside my control and/or the problems would have to sort themselves out.

At other times, I've gone through stretches when I would, each night, wake up after sleeping for just a few hours. That was partly a result of my taking a couple of hours of nap time after knocking off work in the evenings. When I stopped the napping and kept my activity levels up until later in the evening, I was able to sleep more soundly.

I definitely seem to switch on when I wake up, and start thinking about things that are going on and stuff that has to be done. I have no problem falling asleep when I first go to bed but am invariably wide awake 3-4 hours later, like last night.

dear giant likes this.

The best cure I can think of at the moment is reading http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/1...ead206581.html

Only thing that works for me is hitting the gym a few hours before bed. I'm out like a light.

I have been taking time release Melatonin, which seems to help me get to sleep and stay that way. It is available here in HK but the one I originally bought off the shelf at Watsons was 10mg, which was way too strong. I ended up getting one that was 3mg (from iherb.com, where I get all my vitamins etc) and that was perfect.

I also have a bottle of Rescue Remedy next to my bed and if I do wake up in the middle of the night with a million thoughts running through my head, I take some and it seems to help relax me so I can fall asleep again.

a. go on an extended stroll before you go to bed ( 1 hour or more ) or alternatively yoga, preferably candle and headstand
    b. don't eat late, just some fruits or bread for dinner
    c. think of your cat and talk to it

kick back a couple alcoholic shots

A glass of warm milk helps me get good sleep.

May be you try that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast