Like Tree30Likes

Physiotherapist vs chiropractor

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Physiotherapist vs chiropractor

Hi there,
    I have back and neck pain and I would like to see someone efficient to get rid of them. I tried a physiotherapist yesterday and was very disappointed: he did not do any physical treatment on me as I was expecting, just plugged me on some electrical device that pinched my back then used hot pads and that was it. I am wondering if this doctor is just bad or if I am actually expecting more than what physiotherapy actually is. Should I go and see a chiropractor instead? The thing is that my medical insurance do not cover chiropractor sessions I think. But I still may want to try though. Any other idea to make my muscle relax and relieve me from back aches (yoga, stretching, massages...)?
    Thank you.
    By the way, I live on Kowloon side so I would appreciate recommendations of physiotherapist, chiropractor, massages etc. in Kowloon please.
    Thanks again.

Smile Try Dr Brendan Smallbone (Chiropractor) in Tsim Sha Tsui

Hello. I used to have neck pain and chronic back pain and I had a few adjustment/treatment sessions from him and I feel a lot better. His technique is pretty gentle and he checks my whole spine thoroughly and seems to locate my problem joint area very well.
    I think Chiropractic deal with the structural problems while Physiotheraphy is more towards the muscle problems.
    Do need to see him a few times in the beginning though but after a month my progress is good and I am seeing him every other week now to prevent any replase.
    He is a nice Chiropractor as he is not pushy and he doesn't force me to join any care plan. He gives me good advice on stretching, how to choose good pillows and mattresses and how to maintain proper posture.
    Dr Brendan Smallbone works in Tsim Sha Tsui and I highly recommend you to see him.

That just cannot be a real name for a chiropractor.

Haha. Yes, that is his real name. I have been seeing him for awhile now and find him very thorough and effective. I had lower back pain and headaches which he has helped me a lot with. I would definitely recommend checking him out. Very friendly and easy to talk to about whatever problems you have.

Go to a chiropractor - A lot of them treat not only your spine, but do soft tissue work as well. Go to The Chiropractic Doctors' Association of Hong Kong, which is the website for the Chiropractic Doctors' Association of Hong Kong. They have a list of chiropractors and locations there.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Come on! You're not being the slightest bit subtle about this are you?

Tell me, what are the code of ethics regarding advertising?

A few things about chiropractic...

It was started in 1895 by a grocer and magnetic healer from Davenport, Iowa called D.D. Palmer. He reckoned that “intelligent energy” was able to convey information through the various body parts; he called this energy "innate intelligence" and claimed it was connected to a Universal Intelligence. There is no scientific evidence to support these ideas. Palmer also compared himself to Jesus, Mohammed, and Joseph Smith.

The General Chiropractic Council (GCC), a UK-wide statutory body with regulatory powers, issued the following statement (25.05.2010):

“The chiropractic vertebral subluxation complex is an historical concept but it remains a theoretical model. It is not supported by any clinical research evidence that would allow claims to be made that it is the cause of disease or health concerns.”

Finally, look up the name “Sandra Nette” before you decide whether this is for you.

hello_there and HowardCoombs like this.

OP: Your experience with the physiotherapist seems atypical. I had a doctor once tell me that chiropracters can be dangerous as they are mostly unregulated and can begin practicing with quite limited training.

I have used The Body Group for physiotherapy and found their professionals to be quite good - although the practice hasbeen really into the whole holistic approac thing lately which isn't really for me. But for plain old physiotherapy, their therapists are excellent at what they do. Sorry, they are not in Kowloon though.

The Body Group A Physiotherapy and Wellness Clinic in Hong Kong

Also, once you have an idea of what is causing your pain, yoga and stretching often can help relieve the problem (if for example you sit at a desk all day and get a backache) and prevent it from reoccurring (However, if you have a real injury, yoga and stretching can do more harm than good in some cases.)

I can tell you from my personal experience. More than a year ago, I had back ache and for some reason which eludes me at this time, I started going to a chiro, and well he told me there's some slippage in my spine and that's what causing the misalignment of the spine and consequently my right leg is little longer than my left, so he'd adjust it with cracking my back etc and it'd feel ok, he also told me that I always should sit ramrod straight, sleep on my back and not on my side, not do any exercise that involves my back (so almost any exercise). Thus I started going to him, initially thrice a week and then 1-2 times a week, at 400 per visit that always lasted 5 mins or so. This went on for a year, in which I put on roughly 5-7 kilos, and started to get frustrated with this dependency, weight gain, no exercise so no energy, and not to mention the money I was bleeding. I started asking him when does he think I'll get well enough, he never said if I'll ever get well. He always said that it could take years. One day I decided enough is enough and I stopped going to him. I looked up a physio therapist and went to her, the first question I asked, how long does she think I'll take to get well with her therapy, her answer was 2-4 months. I started going to her once a week, and now in two months I can play sports again, but yes I have to be careful, but, atleast I don't have back pain every day. I can live my life normally.

dear giant likes this.

I've always been dead against chiropractors until I suffered a dislocated rib. The pain was incredible and nothing relieved it. After a few days of it I'd had enough and went to see a chiropractor. Sent for an xray and showed the dislocated rib. A quick manipulation and I felt incredible relief.

I personally wouldn't go to see one for any old ache or pain, but I'd certainly have no problem seeing one again if I was at my wits end.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast