Like Tree8Likes

Sports physiotherapist

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ok thanks.

Btw, has anyone heard about or attended the Sutherland Chan clinic?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using GeoClicks Mobile

BTW used the Quality HealthCare Physio centre in WorldWideHouse yesterday and my personal experience, I'm afraid was that I was underwhelmed. Obviously others may have more positive experiences, and this may be based on the physio you are assigned as well.

In my case, I have a knee injury.

Its my first visit to this clinic, so there was some initial questions. After that I was just put on a machine for 20 minutes (the electro current one) and that was it.

Normally they charge HK$800 for a visit and if I was paying that amount I would be quite annoyed as there are a lot of local physios which will do the same for much less.

Luckily as I'm covered by my wife's medical insurance I only had to pay HK$100 (co-payment).

Previously (before I was able to be covered by my wife's medical coverage) I was visiting Perfect Pointe Physio where I was paying HK$750 a session, but it was (for me anyway) much more better.

But like I said in the first sentence, others may have a better experience of Quality Healthcare's Physio centre in central.

FWIW, that machine is intended for pain relief and not for fixing the problem. I've had it described to me as a nannying device by a physio- it's what clients are put on when the physio has something else to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcu...ve_stimulation

(I've never found a TENS unit to do anything- by the time I go to a physio for an injury the acute pain is gone so it's utterly pointless.)

rathunt and pin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Its my first visit to this clinic, so there was some initial questions. After that I was just put on a machine for 20 minutes (the electro current one) and that was it.
    No hands on treatment at all? Sounds rubbish to me. I am a firm believer in manual therapy but I guess there are some physios that use those machines extensively so perhaps they do something beneficial (even though the cynic in me is screaming that the physio in question is looking forward to a long and prosperous "rehab" process while they milk your medical aid and they don't have to do anything).

I have had variety of treatments for my back/knee problem, and I think the good ones are those who make you workout, rather than just give you ultrasound to relieve you of pain momentarily.
    I can recommend sports & spinal physio on wyndham as well as SportsPerformance on pedder street central. Yes they both are expensive but no quick fix.

JGL & Rathunt - yes agree. It seemed this Physio had a few patients on at the same time.

The one at Perfect Pointe would spend a full 40 minutes with me doing various stretches and massage therapy and then give me 10 minutes of accupunture.

The reason I went to Quality was because I'm now covered by it through wife's medical.

I tried the Pedder St place and wasn't particularly impressed. Okay on the manual therapy front, but a fairly short term view (e.g. for a standard ankle sprain it was one or to very low key exercises and "come back every week for the next month and we'll see how it goes").

(I guess they are good if you're okay to throw money at the problem, which in HK isn't a terrible approach.)

Edit: regarding machines, both TENS and ultrasound have highly dubious therapeutic value for recovery- just look up metastudies on clinical trials. In my view, TENS = nannying device, and ultrasound equates to the HK medical mentality of "throw pills at the patient to impress them". I tend to avoid any place that places an emphasis on either (actually, for simple stuff I understand, I just self-treat).

Last edited by jgl; 09-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks so much for the detailed replies guys...have yet to decide what to do...

Great analogy re: TENS and umpteen packs of pills! Says it all about hk really.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue88:
    Thanks so much for the detailed replies guys...have yet to decide what to do...

Great analogy re: TENS and umpteen packs of pills! Says it all about hk really.

You still have not said how much you are willing to spend.

Depends on how many sessions I would need and how good the physio is...

Eg I don't want to be paying $850 x 20 sessions...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast