Working in Hong Kong and Travelling to China - Immunizations Required?

Closed Thread

Question Working in Hong Kong and Travelling to China - Immunizations Required?

Hi,

I am a Canadian-born Chinese who will be working in Hong Kong for the next 4 months and living with relatives. I may travel to other parts of China such as Shenzhen, Hangzhou, or maybe Taiwan. I have been to Hong Kong many times, but usually only for 2 weeks.

Could you give me your advice on what immunizations I would need? My Hep A and Hep B vaccines are up to date and my other routine immunizations are up to date. I have not been to the travel medicine clinic yet and I am trying to avoid it.

I have the impression that the only vaccine I might need is the Typhoid fever vaccine. Before a previous trip to China I went to the travel clinic and they gave me the Typhoid fever vaccine which is valid for 3 years. It has since expired. I am leaning towards not getting it this time because Typhoid is not endemic in Hong Kong, though it is endemic in China. I get the feeling that it is not a serious disease and I would only get some diarrhea if I get it. Also I think the locals do not get the vaccine and probably expats working in China wouldn't go and get the vaccine every 3 years either. I read though that if you get the disease you could become a carrier and transfer it to other people. Are there any consequences for me when I return to Canada if I become a Typhoid carrier? I have read the CDC site on China, but would like to get some advice some people with experience.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Your fine with hep a&b as well as routine shots . You should add a flu shot if you have not had one . Your risk of typhoid from usual China travel is next to none . Most HongKong cases are not from the countless mainland returned travellers it's returned travellers from Indian subcontinent . You won't wind up a carrier even if you get it it's readily diagnosed with modern labs . It's a serious disease only if missed .

Generally no shots are needed. Just watch what you eat.

If you stay to the big cities the risks are the same as in HK.
    You might want to get Japanese Encephalitis shots, just for the peace of mind. I'm sure it's not an overly big risk, but there is the possibility and no cure.

use condoms and don't play with cats or dogs,
    stay away from smokers. That's basically all you need.
    If you go further up North read about PM 2.5 particles

Last edited by Morrison; 20-07-2014 at 12:56 PM.