Looking for good dentist in Central or Admiralty, up to date on current practices

Closed Thread

Looking for good dentist in Central or Admiralty, up to date on current practices

I saw one dentist at Bailey and Jackson for a check up (trained in the US, middle aged), and I was not impressed. He did a cleaning (from my experience, very unusual in the US and Japan for this to be done by a dentist rather than a hygienist), spending a super-short 15 minutes and then a 10 minute check up. My cleaning in the US was about 45 minutes and a lot more thorough. Given how perfunctory this appointment was, I somewhat question his commitment to excellence. Maybe he is up on the latest information and will deal with any issues that come up in the most effective, research-based method that is current protocol, rather than what he learned in dental school 25 years ago, but our one interaction left me questioning this.

Does anyone have a dentist they use who they feel is good, as in thorough and up-to-date on current practices? Someone who is a recent graduate would fit the bill. I would also like someone who has a hygienist and who uses current equipment like an ultrasonic scaler in addition to manual scaling. Or someone who, if older, keeps current, although, difficult for me as a lay person to know this.

I see Bailey and Jackson's dentists have degrees from HK, the US, the UK, and Australia. Does anyone know if all of these dental programs are pretty equivalent in terms of best equipment, procedures, etc?

In HK it's usually the dentist who does the cleaning since many don't employ hygienist.

The 15 minutes he spent on you was that a manual or ultrasonic scaling? If manual then it was indeed too short of time.

It was ultrasonic, but then the hygienist used the ultrasonic scaler and also manual for a total of 45 minutes.