Like Tree5Likes

100 day virus?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100 day virus?

Husband and I have both had this weird illness - sort of like a cold or flu, but not really - you just really really shitty for a few days, then it seems to go away, then it comes back again the following week.

I met a woman here on holiday who had had something with the exact same symptoms, and she said her doctor was calling it "the 100 day virus".

Anyone here had it?

The Hong Kong Cough, perhaps? Winter air is usually the worse. I don't mean that tongue-in-cheek. I know several people who always felt off in while they lived in HKG and the symptoms disappeared once they returned to the 'States.

shri and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    The Hong Kong Cough, perhaps? Winter air is usually the worse. I don't mean that tongue-in-cheek. I know several people who always felt off in while they lived in HKG and the symptoms disappeared once they returned to the 'States.
    Except the person who told me about the 100 day virus was not in HK yet had exactly the same symptoms as we did.... so I wondered if it was a real illness and not just "HK illness" as I had previously assumed. Anyway, not really just a cough anyway, more like flu.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Except the person who told me about the 100 day virus was not in HK yet had exactly the same symptoms as we did.... so I wondered if it was a real illness and not just "HK illness" as I had previously assumed. Anyway, not really just a cough anyway, more like flu.
    I've had something very similar (still not quite over it and getting very fed up!!!) that knocked me out for 2 weeks in late Nov but never quite goes. I've been coughing and having cold/flu-like symptoms to varying degrees ever since. To be honest, I have been quite frustrated about it as I was happy to have escaped from "HK illness" now I'm back in the UK so to be struck down with this lurgy has really p*ssed me off!! It is apparently quite common this season in the UK and is some form of pneumovirus (a particularly nasty one apparently). I've heard of people referring to it as the 100 day cough but wasn't sure if they'd just made the name up or not.

Note to self: look after myself more!!! Been working some killer hours - not quite HK length days but starting much earlier than in HK (I'm usually up at 4.30am!) and working at London intensity (i.e. full-on headless chicken mode with barely time to grab a glass of water let alone lunch). The nicest thing about being sick (if there is one!) in the UK is not having to go to a doctor to get a bloody sick note!! But I was surprised to realise that I quite miss being nagged by my former HK colleagues to drink more warm water. I actually found myself grumbling that there wasn't warm drinking water available on my floor at work and thinking there would be uproar in HK!
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Yes - that sounds like the thing. I wonder why it's not made the news!

I don't know about other people but in HK when I fell sick it stays for ages. It's not like a simple cold, it will just stay for weeks. It's so annoying, back in London I never got sick but here it's quite regular, this must have to do with Pollution I think. Also the doctor here, everytime I go he doesn't check much, he would always give the same medication like this universal medicine!

Air pollution has been pretty steadily bad for the last month or so. Have you had problems before with the air quality? You might want to check if some of the "worst" bits of your virus coincide with days of extremely bad air pollution.

TB

I think it's the pollution getting worse.
    I was back in UK last summer for 5 months, during that time I didn't suffer from sinus problems, coughing or Insomnia.

Since coming back to HK it's reappeared.

Katherine, are you fully innoculated against TB? I know you've been in Philippines on and off (where it's still quite common), and it's still not totally eradicated here in HK (current influx of asylum seekers from dirt-poor countries doesn't help). If you haven't had all your jabs, then do get yourself screened if you haven't been recently.

I've certainly had all my TB jabs. I will check with hubby. He was pretty bad again when we were in (a very unpolluted part of) the UK so I don't think its pollution alone.

chingleutsch likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast