Concerns about PCCW

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Concerns about PCCW

Hi All,

I am trying to find a very fast Broadband connection to my residence at 4 kennedy road.

i tried HKB and they do not cover there.

PCCW Does cover but it only has 6MBS and they bundle it with a TV service I dont want and fear will hog the line.

I am ok with paying more than the usual residentil rate to ensure really speedy service - PCCW says the fastest they can do is 6MBS

Does this mean that nobody can do it faster than that?

I'd love recommendations. Please feel free to correct any assumptions I've made - Please recommend any company you would think can do the job.

Cheers,

If PCCW claim that is the fastest then you are stuck. They own the network and should know best. You could try ringing others like HGC Broadband and Pacific Net or alternatively iCable who don't use the phone line like the others.

If you power off the Now TV set-top box -- no additional bandwidth will be used.

Live in the same place.. although am using PCCW i do know HGC is available in kennedy 10MB Fiber Optic.

Waiting for PCCW contract to finish and will be signing up soon too..
    http://www.hgc.com.hk/eng/res_net_bb_hgcbb.html

GLHF

Unless what you are trying to access is located in Hong Kong then the access network speed is rarely the limiting factor on overall downloads. (Particularly at the moment with the international cables out...)

I'm sure they will sell you it without the TV (though probably not for any less money) and as KIA says if the TV box isn't even plugged in then it consumes no bandwidth.

Thanks

They said if I dont get the 'free' (lol) TV service I can only get 3 MB.

I will try HGC?

Quote Originally Posted by animalmom:
    They said if I dont get the 'free' (lol) TV service I can only get 3 MB.
    It's rubbish - PCCW sales staff are renowned for their incompetence and over-pushy sales techniques; their technical staff on the other hand are, in my experience, pretty good. I have the 6MB service (with TV) and I get that from servers in HK and occasionally (before the cables went down) from servers outside HK provided that my TV box is switched off.

To some locations they can already do 8MB, but it depends on the length of copper between you and the exchange. There are also some buildings which have fibre to the building and are therefore ready for a 25MB service. PCCW is waiting for a critical mass of buildings to have this before they launch this service (which will be marketed around the ability to run HDTV).

I went from a 10MB HGC connection in Queen's Terrace to a 6MB PCCW connection in my current flat - and guess which one is faster to 95% of all sites I visit? The latter...

animalmom : are you dealing with the telesales? DONT ..

Go down to Wanchai Computer Center (about the Wanchai MTR) and you'll find three or four ISP sales guys -- PCCW and HGC and iCable for sure.

These guys will definately give you the best possible deals.

Smile

The claim of 6 or 10 Mb is only part of the issue. You need to clarify what they guarantee is the 'minimum' bandwith you'll receive.

If you are with iCable etc. they may indeed have 10Mbs to your building..if no-one else is online! If 9 neighbours are online, then you'll be down to 1Mb at best!

I have 6Mb and NOW TV. My computer software is set up to receive 100Mb. However, even with the TV off the download speed is actually only 200 to 300 Kb per second. When I first dicovered this, I had PCCW attend and test it. Twice they tested and both times different engineers said this speed was normal.

Basically, it's a gimmic. Until legislation is introduced, the situation won't improve. We're stuck with false promises and claims.

..but the NOW TV IS good!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast