cable,broadband, internet, satellite

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cable,broadband, internet, satellite

trying to figure out just what the options are for these. i googled them and didn't come up with any sites belonging to the service providers. can you all point me in the right direction? and if you've found something that works well, tell me about it? thanks! basically we need broadband internet and as many english language tv channel options as possible. thanks!

http://www.cabletv.com.hk
    http://www.nowbroadbandtv.com in conjunction with http://www.netvigator.com

Now broadband TV has the exclusive rights to Star Sports and ESPN here so if you want them you have no choice. The incremental cost of getting your broadband (6MB) internet from Netvigator if you have NOW Boradband is pretty much zero, so that follows. CableTV has only a few English channels that NOW doesn't have - the main draw is that they have the exclusive rights to the English Premier League soccer, but if that doesn't interest you I don't think CableTV is worth another HK$300 per month.

Folks,

I am not sure if you guys come up with the same queries that when you logon to any Internet Service Provider and other teleco website and u probably find the so called special deals are so much inferor than the local chinese does. As i am a 100% chinese and everytime i am just curious and click on the english ver of service plans and i found there is always a differences in terms of price and the content...

I guess it would b still the best to get a local hong kong guy who can speak cantonese to get the best deal off the provider for you.

For example, my connection is the Netvigator 6Mb unlimited ADSL which is only $210 per month and comes with free Nowbroandband TV (10 basic channels free + 1 paid channel free) for 18 months contract. However, i couldnt find any sort of info from english ver netvigator web site.

Well interestingly, speaking only English to NOW BB I get a 6MB unlimited ADSL with NOW including one paid channel (HBO in my case) for $194 per month on 18 months contract, which rather contradicts your point!

It is usual to get $194 per month for the whole package if u tranferred from other broadband service provider or your IMS contract is nearly finishing. However, my case is..i am new adsl connection..they wont give me any better deal only when my contract is nearly finishing soon then i would for sure bargarin with IMS for a better deal.

Just my 2 cents

If you dont know Chinese, it is very difficult to make out the latest offer on the internet. Not true however, if you get into the streets and find the nearest 'street corner' seller.

Both Nowbroadband and CableTV setup roadside kiosks to solicit new customers. They give the best deal there is!! I got a 3MB Broadband+Cable TV with Discovery package, HBO/Star/Cinemax and News package for 340!! Was better than the CableTV guy's deal who was standing 2 feet away

Hello,

I was wondering if there was satellite service that gets north american channels to be viewed in hong kong? such channels like comedy central etc.

You can download most of the popular shows using bittorrent.

Watched West Wing and an episode of the Daily Show last night.

Second the Bittorrent solution. Has worked well for a number of shows.

Most of the satellites that cover the US (no surprise) don't have a large enough footprint to get coverage here in HK. I'm not sure, but I imagine if you have a 3meter dish you might pick up some signals from the Middle East, which often have some more American shows. Still probably not worth the effort.

Or you could try something mega-geeky if you still have a) someone in the US with a new (6 month or less) cable box, b) cable service, c) broadband internet and d) a computer with firewire.

Last June or July, a little known FCC ruling came into effect in the US requiring cable companies to include firewire ports on their cable boxes. Using free software off the net, you can plug your cable box into your pc, and set it up to TIVO-like record your favorite shows. Then, you can write a script that FTPs the programs to someplace where you can download them overnight while you are here in HK. If you get really funky, you can VNC or something to control the desktop of the machine in the US and alter the programs you want to record.

But it's kind of a bear....

Bittorrent all the way! With the great broadband in HK its the best way to go.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast