Buying mobile phone/subscribing a mobile phone plan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Buying mobile phone/subscribing a mobile phone plan

My company is withdrawing our mobile phone privileges and if we choose to keep our current company line, we have to convert to a personal phone plan

So I'm thinking of just getting my own mobile phone plan and hopefully have a free mobile phone that goes with it. Which phone provider has:

1. the cheapest calls
    2. good free phones that go with the plan (1 year contract only)

Thanks!

Define what you mean by good!!!

None of the current HK providers offer their "good" phones for free unless you join up on some mega monthy package. So you will need to wave the plastic if you want something at least pretty decent.

You may find a couple do offer free phones but they will be the most bog basic handsets you can find in HK. The charge for the handsets to keep the line rental and call costs down in HK.

Smile

People has a Nokia phone which costs HK$380 for people's user

Many shops like Broadway, offers mobile phone of good value, or even better shop others shop eg those in Sai Yeung Choi Street West in Argyle MTR

Hope you have a phone number and then join plans with People or New World under $50+$12 plan, the next month $35+12/month, call up to 500 minutes, if calls to 1,000 still good price just add about $10 more,
    call forward available

But first of all, check in the work and live area, which channel is good, sometimes, eg you scarely could reach by mobile in work or live areas, so you could have to switch to another phone company, and costs you time, money, or even miss business opportunites

Last edited by doralui; 08-09-2006 at 12:19 PM.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl:
    My company is withdrawing our mobile phone privileges and if we choose to keep our current company line, we have to convert to a personal phone plan

So I'm thinking of just getting my own mobile phone plan and hopefully have a free mobile phone that goes with it. Which phone provider has:

1. the cheapest calls
    2. good free phones that go with the plan (1 year contract only)

Thanks!
    Coolgirl, you're better off purchasing your cellphone outright rather than tying it up to your contract. That way you can get the instrument you need and not have to worry about any lock-in periods with cellphone service providers.

But having said that,.....here's some info from the website of my current provider (CSL) with some interesting offers....

CSL one2free:
    http://one2free.hkcsl.com/eng/whatne...ffer/index.jsp

CSL 1010:
    http://1010.hkcsl.com/jsp/per_whatis...er_delight.jsp

http://1010.hkcsl.com/jsp/per_whatis...cial_offer.jsp

happy hunting...

Telecom, tel (852) 7777 7777 offers HK$19+HK$12/month 250 minutes inc call forward, CSL, good quality

Last edited by doralui; 08-09-2006 at 12:38 PM.

You should go to their shops to ask as well. SOmetimes they have quite cheap price plan. I think the one that offer cheap calls and phone is 3. However, it's network is not so good.

Does anyone have an opinion on who has the best IDD plan? That's what THIS Expat is most interested in.

Smile

For IDD, I join several IDD company, like 1579 (tel 2157 1579), now offering $0.08 to call China, US, Canada by mobile phone, till end Oct
    there are many other IDD companies, like 007, 1507, 1686 etc

Where 007 (tel 121129) offers me $1 to call 300 minutes to China, US, Canada in the first month, I have to cancel at the end of the first month, to avoid HK$28 plan next month.

Last edited by doralui; 08-09-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks for all the info!!!

Max, I discovered that as well - crappy phones tied to lines. So I'd rather buy my own phone.

Questions:

1. Which is a good phone within HKD 2K range? Im thinking Motorola v3, nokia (clamshell version) or sony ericsson 530i/610i, etc.

I have absolutely no clue with phones! Don't know which one is big value for money. I don't need 3 G, just want one with a good screen and good quality camera (2MP at least)

ok an add on question, which is a good 3G phone to purchase now ? just the standard basic functions, nothing funky, reliable, and cheap.

no i don't need 3G, but that's the only thing that works in Japan with the GSM network.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast