Where's Cheapest place to buy Mobile Phone?

Closed Thread

Where's Cheapest place to buy Mobile Phone?

I'm looking to buy one of those new Samsung Phones; Samsung Galaxy Note, or something similar.

Anyone ever go to that mini shopping arcade in Mong Kok that sells all those new and used mobile phones? crazy how many stalls they have there; there's several floors, shit-load of cool phones...
    Some stock the same phone, at different prices. But I'm not sure if it too safe to buy from there; anyone with any experience buying from that place?
    I can't remember the address; but it's beside the east MK station on Argyle street.

I was tempted to buy a Galaxy Note the other day; but would like to hear some feedback on that place before buying...

yes, best to do some research on these things from there.
    try ebay hong kong with a good trusted 100% seller.

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy from those shops at Sin Tat, unreliable and bad service is their motto. buy from a regular phonestore is what I would recommend.

If you're looking for dirt cheap, then there are better options (ok, dodgier options) than Sin Tat. Try price.com.hk and you'll find a fair few businesses that don't appear to have physical premises which you can visit. Instead they'll meet you at an MTR station and exchange the goods for cash. There are, of course, no warranties offered by such companies and there is a risk that you might be buying a second-hand 'phone, but you get what you pay for. You'll also find more reputable low-cost businesses on the site, included the wholesalers that the shops in Mongkok and TST get their stock from.

If you do opt for Sin Tat, best to take along a local friend who shops there often, who knows the shops well and is, in turn, known by the shopkeepers.

The prices in the mall in Mongkok are cheap because they have no warranty. If that is OK for you then try and find someone who knows the place to take you to the less dodgy shops. If you want the full product with warranty then you gotta pay the normal price.

I never buy a phone brand new these days. If you wait a while you can probably get the phone at a cheaper price second hand through the various classifieds. For example I was able to pick up a Samsung Galaxy SG2 in November second hand, used for about a month, in perfect condition, with a bunch of extras for HK$3,700. The shop price at the time for that phone was roughly HK$4,300.

BTW Expansys.com.hk sometimes has specials on phones. I think they are selling the Note for about HK$4,850.

I've heard stories of where the official battery is replaced with a no-name one and sold to unknowing customers. Other things might be missing - like the charger or it is a foreign plug and not the HK plug. They can also put in old/used innards with a new exterior and sell that as a new phone. I'd spend the extra for the piece of mind by shopping from more reputable places (Fortress, Broadway, Suning, etc.).

Bought a number of phones over the years from several outlets in that arcade. Never needed to return for warranty issues..maybe I've just been lucky!! Phones always performed as expected many locals I know are prepared to shop there..which should be a good sign

Sent from my HTC Desire using GeoClicks Mobile