Cheap Smartphones - dodgy?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    well, we are in hk after all
    on an expat forum

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    clone phone/cheap identiclone android is not a great recommendation, based on two years ago, iphone clones was all the rage, but i note nowaday, they seem dead as dodo and HK$1600, that a hell of lot money for a no brander
    And 5K is ludicrous for phone on steroids.

Brand? you like to pay a couple of grand per phone for their advertising? The clones are made with same components, at the same factories as the brands... that's what happens when you try to cut costs and export your technology... it gets stolen.

Don't you remember HTC was an OEM?
    damasque likes this.

Thanks Shafiq. What is a '14 day lot'?

Thanks for all the replies.

When I started this thread I'd set myself a budget of $2K and done the research. No need to go over that for the features I want, but want to get the best out of that budget. I will keep to a name brand, for the warranty and ease of repair - though I may go to a Wanchai shop rather than Chungking...

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm99:
    Thanks for all the replies.

When I started this thread I'd set myself a budget of $2K and done the research. No need to go over that for the features I want, but want to get the best out of that budget. I will keep to a name brand, for the warranty and ease of repair - though I may go to a Wanchai shop rather than Chungking...
    Consider the clone, my mate's a phone geek, he's got 3 brand names, iPhone, HTC, and another. He's done the research and this is the phone he's going to get. There's a warranty and repair available in the shops in HK.

When I change I'll give that one a try. I had Samsung.... 2 breakdowns in 2 years, just outside the warranty period... as they designed it to do...last one was the motherboard
    $1250 for repair... I don't think so! Samsung... I'll never use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm99:
    Thanks Shafiq. What is a '14 day lot'?
    Those were phones originally returned for warranty purpose (minor defects). It will be repaired and resold to importers for a lower than market price. They are as good as new ones yet refurbished...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy:
    on an expat forum

And 5K is ludicrous for phone on steroids.

Brand? you like to pay a couple of grand per phone for their advertising? The clones are made with same components, at the same factories as the brands... that's what happens when you try to cut costs and export your technology... it gets stolen.

Don't you remember HTC was an OEM?
    the clones have definitely taken over. I see a ton of them in Sham Sui Po and they are virtually indistinguishable from the Samsungs except for the smaller storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by damasque:
    the clones have definitely taken over. I see a ton of them in Sham Sui Po and they are virtually indistinguishable from the Samsungs except for the smaller storage space.
    really? to the naked eye they look the same ( just like those iclones wphone/hphone/ephone a few years ago which strangely enough the people that purchased them got rid of them after a few months) they look the same, but check and investigate further, there are massive difference in quality , ie, screen ( oled compared to a lower quality lcd clone), inferior cpu (exynos 4 quad core vs a mediatek twin core, china cheap cpu), supposed higher resolution screen at 1080 on a 4.5 screen, i was even in hua qiang bei last week and they have thousand of these so i actually asked what they were and what were the specs.

yes, these cheap clones could be great for a cheap set top box where the requirements are less demanding, ie, playing internet movies, etc, but as a phone, they are not so great
    Last edited by imparanoic; 25-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    damasque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy:

When I change I'll give that one a try. I had Samsung.... 2 breakdowns in 2 years, just outside the warranty period... as they designed it to do...last one was the motherboard
    $1250 for repair... I don't think so! Samsung... I'll never use them again.
    Love this.

Here's what the designer must have been thinking when designing the phone:

"Lets put this wire/circuitry in, its got a life of its own, it knows how old it is and will break down when its just over a year old!"

Magic.

I'm a nerd and I'm also cheap.. and there is no way on earth I would get a non name brand phone.

Samsung / Sony / HTC / LG(iffy but OK)

Yep, tend to agree with HKHK154... I really don't see the point of copy products..... I wonder if people who do purchase copy products, understand that they are supporting very bad people ie providing proceeds to crime ( triads etc) and if it is sourced from TST ( C K M) , you're funding a percentage of the worlds global terrorist activity via the illicit drug and counterfeit products trade.