Like Tree5Likes

MiFi in Hong Kong (3G->WiFi device)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MiFi in Hong Kong (3G->WiFi device)?

Hi

In the states we have a little device called a "MiFi" which is about the size of a few credit cards stacked together and it create a small personal wifi network around it connected to your wireless phone data plan. I was wondering if these type of devices (I think 'MiFi' is a brand name, not necessarily the product name) are around in Hong Kong yet? I wasn't sure how to search for them as I don't know if the MiFi label is used everywhere or just in the US.

Here is a picture of one:

Home

I've seen similar with some variations, not sure how dependable they are as some of them are unknown "china" brands..

One is the latest attempt by PCCW wifi + mobile broadband device, it's about half the size of your standard slice of pound cake and all you need to do is insert the provided SIM and off you go, can connect up to 4or5 WIFI devices.

There are others that mimic your broadband plans mobile device (PCCW Anywhere, Smarttone Vodafone, One2Free's NextG, etc..), same topology, just insert the SIM and you basically have a mobile hotspot, best bet to search for them in probably sham shui po.

I am not sure about other providers as I use One2Free/CSL and basically they have confirmed that any mobile device, be it a phone or mobile modem, if it supports HSDPA/3G, plug it in and go.

you have to be careful as some people have been caught off guard using the SIM in another device and was charged separately, I basically walked into CSL and showed them my blackberry, asked if I used the NextG SIM inside and use it just to surf internet, will I be charged other then my standard monthly rate.. better safe then sorry

There was a prior discussion on this here. Also, as mentioned in that thread, a lot of mobile phones these days have this functionality built in.

Thanks. I'm thinking of using it with my wi-fi only iPad and from what I've read tethering to an iPhone is not allowed so I'll probably need some other solution like this device. I must just wait though and see how available wifi hotspots are around the places I hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Thanks. I'm thinking of using it with my wi-fi only iPad and from what I've read tethering to an iPhone is not allowed so I'll probably need some other solution like this device. I must just wait though and see how available wifi hotspots are around the places I hang out.

You will be quite suprised at how "available" wifi is here in HK, I think there is practically a wifi spot everywhere I go, or maybe it just happens to be that way, a few sure spots for me since I use Netvigator + CSL, I can use their hotspots for free as part of my package.

Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Pacific Coffee, Library, government buildings, universities and the like, 80% of malls, even some buses have free wifi....

oh forgot to include, PCCW have hotspots on many of their phone booths also..

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    You will be quite suprised at how "available" wifi is here in HK, I think there is practically a wifi spot everywhere I go, or maybe it just happens to be that way, a few sure spots for me since I use Netvigator + CSL, I can use their hotspots for free as part of my package.

Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Pacific Coffee, Library, government buildings, universities and the like, 80% of malls, even some buses have free wifi....

oh forgot to include, PCCW have hotspots on many of their phone booths also..
    Also the PCCW wifi only plan is only something like HK$28 a month for a mobile device (wonder if they will define the Ipad as a mobile device or a computer).

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Also the PCCW wifi only plan is only something like HK$28 a month for a mobile device (wonder if they will define the Ipad as a mobile device or a computer).
    According to their ad, A device using IPhone OS will be treated as mobile device. So iPad is a mobile instead of Laptop computer.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Do you need some other plan to get this? I went into a store and they tried to sell me a wifi access card--30 days for like $200. Wasn't sure they understood what I wanted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Oops. I found the link online.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Anyone using iPad and joined the PCCW Wifi Plan?

My former experience is that cannot use iPad to activiate the (Mobile Plan) as the webpage treat this a non-mobile device. What I did is use my iPhone to activate it.

But the problem next is everytime I connect to the hot-spot, my iPad have to key-in the username and password everytime and can use the Auto-login features, anyone has the same experience as me?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast