opening a joint account

Closed Thread

Exclamation opening a joint account

okay then, I'm a student and want to open a joint account with a friend in hong kong... i was just wondering what the rates are like for opening joint accounts here? minimum deposits and service charges, etc. being a student i don't have 5000 cash on me to deposit when i open the account like HSBC wanted.

Try the other banks like BEA and Bank of China etc.

They'll want a lot less than 5k.

Interest rates are next to nothing as its a current account rather than a savings account.

cool alright! i'll check it out then thanks

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by -jC-:
    okay then, I'm a student and want to open a joint account with a friend in hong kong... i was just wondering what the rates are like for opening joint accounts here? minimum deposits and service charges, etc. being a student i don't have 5000 cash on me to deposit when i open the account like HSBC wanted.
    Might want to check with the morons @ HSBC again with what they've told you.......

Opening a bank account costs next to nothing here,...in ANY bank for that matter.

The minimum deposit you make when opening one is HK$10 (or HK$100), which is processed at the time of opening the account.

The 5k they're referring to is the minimum amount you must maintain with them to avoid being charged a "service fee".

Having said that, however, other banks like BEA do not impose this limit and are probably more favorable for account holders/depositors with smaller average balances.

deleteduser

Go to Hang Seng and get an ATM savings account. No fees, no minimum. The only fees you'll get are if you withdraw via teller. If your friend has HKID, you won't even need it either. I opened this kind of account with my girlfriend, and I just used my passport while she used her ID.

brilliant thanks!

well hang seng and BEA def sound best out of some of the options i've been looking at...i'll look into it this coming week!

thanks!!

If you just love loooooong queues - get a HSBC account ! I tossed them aside many years ago solely because I dislike wasting time in queues.

As a *personal* preference my wife & I use BEA, whilst our student daughter has a Hang Seng account - but that's solely because there's a HS branch at her University -- and no Bank Of East Asia branch nearby.

I won't say that BEA is "Q-less" - but they are far more manageable WHEN they do build up!