Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimbo

is this the most easiest of banks to bank with

Closed Thread

Question is this the most easiest of banks to bank with

hi -
    is the bank of china the easiest like best bank to open a bank account without many certain conditions?.

thing is, my partner who is there has now found work and looking for her own simple bank account with maybe a cash withdrawal card. something simple where her salary (under 10,000 HKD) could be paid in with ease.
    she said places like HSBC expect too much just to open an account.

also, what sort of ID would she require as this is her first real job there and she is living with family at theirs who bank with bank of china.
    she don't mind having her salary paid into one of theirs, but would prefer her own.
    she has HKID.

thank you everyone...
    Last edited by m4nn; 29-07-2010 at 01:17 PM.

All pretty much of a muchness to be honest.

HK I.D and proof of address and assuming she does not need a credit card then she's good to go.

m4nn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    All pretty much of a muchness to be honest.

HK I.D and proof of address and assuming she does not need a credit card then she's good to go.
    hmmmm - proof of address could be an issue.
    she has nothing in her name there just yet.

thanks jimbo.

You can also get around proof of address with a letter - the Marina wrote one for us early on, perhaps her relatives can write one for her?

Your question is based on a false premise. "Easy to deal with" and "bank" seem more like oil and water than oil and vinegar for your salad!

I had to provide proof of address when I arrived from my home in Canada and they wanted it on a utility bill - and an original.

That was tricky as I needed an account fast so my wife scanned my mobile bill with our BC address and then I printed it and a business partner dimpled the dotted line portion to make it look original. She later mailed the original. I had to do this to get money here as I didn't want to trust just an ATM which might leave me stranded.

It was funny that even the bank manager looked at it then sent it to the back office where they declared it just fine.

Oh and they used my ID from my passport being new to HK.

That was Hang Seng.

BOC is good if you need to send money to China to pay suppliers.

For local ID she will have to get (if she doesn't already have it an HK ID card - if she is local that will suffice. The offer letter from the company might have her local address on it so she might not have the issue of proof of foreign addresses just before arriving here.

Last edited by Football16; 29-07-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Yes, when i first moved to HK, i also opened an account with BOC, because it was the easiest and at the time, i didnt have so much of a choice.
    Now, 3 years later, i have opened another account with SCB and dont use my BOC account anymore.