Like Tree2Likes

Hong Kong have Debit Card?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hong Kong have Debit Card?

Did any of Hong Kong's bank provide debit card?

I try asked a few bank already but negative the result.

I am not prefer to use credit card because always overspent. But I love the Visa or Master function on it.

My friend from other country told me that they have card that have Visa or Master on it but you have to bank-in money into the card before use the money named debit card, electron card, cash card.

Did any of you get the debit card in HK? or

Any place I can check which bank provide the debit card? So I don't need go to every bank to check it.

EPS functions can be used at most stores in Hong Kong. You will find that it is similar to the Master Card and Visa debit functions you are familiar.

One feature that EPS does not have is that it can not be used outside of Hong Kong not elsewhere like the Master Card and Visa debit.

Unfortunately, Visa and Mastercard in Hong Kong is only for credit card functions.

Hong Kong does not use debit as much as other countries at all. So the banks you have talked to may be confused by the terms you use etc as they call it EPS.

Any bank account you open with pretty much any bank here will include a card that allows you to go to the ATM's and deposit/withdrawl money as well as pay by EPS in the shop (AKA Debit) For example:

You go to ParkNshop, checkout everything. Bill it $192.10, they will swipe your card and hand you a keypad to confirm you are paying $192.10 and then enter your pin and that's it.

Just make sure they are giving you a bank card/eps card/whatever they call it.

There are some differences between a debit card and an ATM card (in the US at least). A debit card can not only be used for EPS or the equivalent, but can also be used in many cases for making on-line purchases, where EPS is not available. In the US, both Visa and Mastercard issue debit cards of this type, mostly for cases where people either don't want a credit card or can't get one because of a bad credit rating. As far as I know, Hong Kong doesn't have debit cards of this kind.

Thanks for the respond.

I knows all about EPS, Octopus, ATM in HK which have part of Debit Card function.

I would like used this post to clarify the debit card which I looking for.

Debit card have exact same function with credit card except their repayment method. Debit card can be used for online purchase, swap in others country...just exactly same with credit card.

Credit card, you can swap it, and swap it until your credit limit, you only need to pay back the money after receive the statement.

Debit Card, you only can swap it if your card have enough money. So, it won't overspent. You can control your monthly expenses by bank-in certain amount of money for the month used.

Debit card was more suitable for me, at least, which like to buy and try while I saw something new before consider I need it or not.

If anyone know HK, Macau or China have this type of debit card, please let me knows. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    EPS functions can be used at most stores in Hong Kong. You will find that it is similar to the Master Card and Visa debit functions you are familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Hong Kong does not use debit as much as other countries at all. So the banks you have talked to may be confused by the terms you use etc as they call it EPS.
    Yah it is called EPS !!
    Last edited by Alby; 19-06-2007 at 02:10 AM.

HSBC used to have a debit card a while ago ( eight years ago) connected to their easy saving accounts... Real debit card function..i.e you can use it as a Visa card if you have money in your account.. Dunno why they discontinued the service... Cant compare VISA and EPS based on the number of places they can be used.. for example cant think of many restaurants that accepts EPS..

Quote Originally Posted by PSMaverick:
    HSBC used to have a debit card a while ago ( eight years ago) connected to their easy saving accounts... Real debit card function..i.e you can use it as a Visa card if you have money in your account.. Dunno why they discontinued the service... Cant compare VISA and EPS based on the number of places they can be used.. for example cant think of many restaurants that accepts EPS..
    they still have this kind of card in India, wondering why they stopped in Hong Kong.

Original Post Deleted
    blandy62 do you mean "cannot use it online or overseas"

I would like to pursue the debit card thing too. I'd rather have them for using online than a regular credit card.....has anyone tried Bank of America here for one?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast