HSBC Credit Card Annual Fee

Closed Thread

HSBC Credit Card Annual Fee

Got the credit card statement online and saw I am being charged the HK$1500 annual fee. Call up the banking hotline. Input my numbers; then get a message saying something like "credit card annual fee waiver application can now be done though phone banking. Enter 5 followed by 1". I enter the number and wait a very short time. Then get the message, "Your credit card annual fee waiver application has been approved".

I'm not complaining, besides thinking why is the annual fee charged if it is so easy to waive (if they refuse to waive I cancel, but that has not happened with any of my credit cards for years). Maybe they keep it for the customers who never ask for the fee waiver- guess there must be a fair few of them?

Yeap must be.

A few days ago I asked HSBC to waive off HKD 240 worth of charges for not maintaining the minimum balance on my HSBC Advance account. I was at the branch it took a few minutes to get the approval.

It's an easy way for the banks to get fees from people that do not check their statements (most statements are now online so I don't know how careful people are about checking it) or those who do not think to call up and ask for charges to be waived. For the most part I think most banks will waive the charges, even after you pay it, you can always ask for the charges to be reversed if you show good payment history.