Like Tree6Likes

Beginner with HK$2.000.000 - Best way to invest them in long term?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beginner with HK$2.000.000 - Best way to invest them in long term?

Hi,

I'm an engineer and know not much about investments. I'm not native English. I know almost nothing about English financial terminology. I have the money in HK, in a HSBC account and getting an astonishing HK$4 in interest each month, and want to
    invest them in HK, on a 10-20 year period to secure me a descent pension when getting older.

I have lately read a few books, in my own mother language, but they targets my home country financial market only. All the books are screaming ¨Do it your self¨, ¨Stay away from funds¨ and explains that funds are eating up your gains with fees and you much wanted exponential interest-on-interest-effect will almost be wiped out.... The books suggest to invest in stocks and also gives a lot of hints on what to look for to pick the the sweetest cherries on the tree.
    All the books are referring to Buffett Warren and his investment philosophy.

The books also warns the readers not to trust neither bank or financial advisers, as they only looks to them self and how much they can pocket from you... Hiring an independent financial adviser (no transactions goes though him/her) could be an option though...

Huu, not an easy start for a rookie investor like my self, right?

I need suggestions... Where to start? Where can i learn more about the HK financial market, terminology? Preferable books for beginners on a fair level of English language, or even better, educational film and audio books. Suggestions of tools/websites that could help me?

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Invest in Stocks, properties, funds or??? And why?

// Zoom

Last edited by ZOOM; 24-07-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks Jrkob,

Im not living in HK, I'm living in another part of Asia. Otherwise it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOM:
    Hi,

I have lately read a few books, in my own mother language,

but they targets my home country financial market only
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOM:

Im not living in HK, I'm living in another part of Asia
    Sounds like it's all a secret! Good luck anyway.

Macau. All on red.

wtbhotia likes this.

This is a too big question to answer in a thread like this. The short answer is: There is no answer, there is a reason there is a whole industry working with this.

You have too much money to start to try around yourself and make mistakes. Usually people start younger/earlier with small amounts of money, everyone makes lots of mistakes, some worse than others, its a learning process like much else in life.

Basically you need to try to find a financial planer than can help you out, without ripping you off. Or you keep your money in your HSBC account and you read a lot of books about asset allocation and such. The problem is that even if you learn the theoretical stuff, you probably will be so full of behavioural biases, since you never experienced the swings in a stock market, looking at your account when you lost 700 000 HKD evokes a lot of different feelings and you will make mistakes and not follow the plan.

China all the way

What Buffett does not teach; burn half of it in the stock market,
    it will make you a more diligent and prudent stock investor.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Zoom, me old mate! I've got a suggestion, give it all to me mate, you'll be fine.

Alternatively, do a bit of research, personally i like quamnet, find 8-10 stocks you like and buy them. My wife is always trying to get me to buy TENCENT, so probably leave that one alone, don't know why but i still prefer HSBC over SC, the property companies are all about the same but Mr Lei is such a handsome devil why not go with him, a REIT or 2 can't hurt, then MTRC, CLP, HKEX, throw in a China Telecom or 2 and you've got your 10. Granted stocks all have their ups and downs but you said you're in it for 10 - 20 years so you should be fine. Almost forgot, HK Tracker.

Last edited by CharlieGordon; 25-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    shri likes this.

There is an thread on here about investments. Can someone post the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    There is an thread on here about investments. Can someone post the link?
    How two retire early in HK

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast