PGCE in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PGCE in HK?

So I know there are a lot of teachers on the boards.. seeing if anyone can shed some light..

We're looking to do a PGCE or other related teacher training more than the TEFL cert. Work and study at the same time preferably. Is it possible to do that here in HK?

I spoke to another member about a B(Ed) course that is distance learning with an Australian uni, that seems quite good, if pricey, so want to see what other options there are.

One of our uni friends managed to get a cushty job in Beijing where the school is sponsoring his PGCE, so also want to know if that option is available here.

Hi. I did the 1 month Cert TESOL course but during my research on possible courses here I noted that you can do a PGDE at the HK Institute of Education (from what I remember I don't think they offer a PGCE) and an MA in ELT at HK University. Hope this helps.

Last edited by DAQUIRI; 14-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Pgde

You can do a part time PGDE at Hong Kong University. It's 2 years and you must already have a teaching job here so that they can observe your lessons.

Does anyone know if a PGDE would be valid for teaching in England?

Just about all the universities offer the PGDE but if you wish to study the program in English, then the only option is University of Hong Kong. Here's the link for all their programs in the Faculty of Education:

http://www.hku.hk/education/programme/adm2007_all.htm

Bear in mind that not every program will allow you to be a registered teacher, unless there is a teaching observation component in the program. For part-time programs, I'm afraid it's only the PGDE. You might qualify for the SCOLAR grant, which refunds 50% of the course fees. Again, check out their website:

http://cd1.emb.hkedcity.net/cd/scola...w_index_en.htm

Open U also offers many teaching dip/certs in English and Chinese. Check out www.ouhk.edu.hk for a full lisst of what they offer. Very flexible learning schedules for full time working students.

it really depends what you wish to do with your PGCE/PGDE.

i'm currently working as a TA at an international school in HK. i decided to apply for the PGDE programme at HKU to further my career in this field.

had my interview on saturday and learned that the PGDE course offered by them (and other universities in HK) prepare you to become a teacher at a LOCAL school.

esp if you're studying part-time, they'll require that you have a job at a local school as part of the learning experience. naturally my job at an intl' school disqualifies me from this.

my option is to apply for a job as a NET teacher at a local school but that isn't the route i wish to go.

so now i'm looking into what options i have in terms of doing a PGDE via distance learning.

[QUOTE=nostalgic;145494]esp if you're studying part-time, they'll require that you have a job at a local school as part of the learning experience. naturally my job at an intl' school disqualifies me from this.QUOTE]

really? two colleagues of mine at an IS here in HK are doing the part-time PGDE at HKU (they are also teaching but are classified as TA)...

[QUOTE=nostalgic;145494] esp if you're studying part-time, they'll require that you have a job at a local school as part of the learning experience. naturally my job at an intl' school disqualifies me from this. [QUOTE]

really? two colleagues of mine at an IS here in HK are doing the part-time PGDE at HKU (they are also teaching but are classified as TA)...

do you know what's the major subject they've chosen for their PGDE?

mine was english. i was informed by the course coordinator that they DO take on prospects from international/ESF school settings, but that you'd really have to demonstrate that you ARE teaching english as a foreign/secondary language, which isn't normally the case with students from international school backgrounds.

she gave an example of a current student who is working at canadian international. unfortunately the student has been unable to produce any relevant work for the course, as he/she hasn't really been doing any kind of ESL type teaching.

but i would love to hear about your colleagues' experiences as my only other alternative would be to apply for an australian programme via distance learning.

Seriously, I wonder if it's who I think it is who told you all that crap.

I work part-time in two international schools and I've known other international school teachers who have taken PGDE at HKU. Another two of my classmates are working at an international school up in New Territories. And we are graduating from PGDE at HKU in a month's time. And I've known previous PGDE graduates who have gone on to work in international schools. Anyway, check my PM to you.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast