What are the highest paid jobs in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are the highest paid jobs in HK?

I'm currently completing secondary school and the decision to choose a career for university is fast approaching. I'm planning to move back to Hong Kong after my studies, but was wondering if there were any jobs that were considered to earn more than others.

For instance, how are pharmacists paid? I've always had an interest in that. Would I be able to come to Hong Kong and become a pharmacist after studying it in Australia? Or do I need to follow a course to learn the chinese names of all the drugs?

Drug dealers usually do well enough to drive around in Range Rovers

Of course, the best job to apply for is tycoon... just secure a monopoly/duopoly over some sector of the economy and start minting your cash!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Of course, the best job to apply for is tycoon... just secure a monopoly/duopoly over some sector of the economy and start minting your cash!
    Completely agree, but not exactly what I was looking for

I meant highest paid jobs that are possible for ordinary citizens. Unless you want to give me a block of land for free

It definitely has to be Feng Shui Master/Gigolo!

688 million HKD for a head and body massage.

Tell people to burn their hard earned money to avoid any trouble.
    Dig random holes all over HK, place expensive pieces of jade in them... then go collect the jade the next day.

Remember you got this advise from me so if you ever strike the motherload of riches please send some to me

Last edited by ariellioncub; 08-07-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo

money isn't everything dear poster... I once had a number of pharmacists in my close friends network and they were utterly bored... so much so that their personal lives were going slightly crazy just to give them some excitement.

Seriously find something that you are interested in, other than the paycheck..

personally, i believe that the amount of money you earn should be the LAST thing on your mind when you are choosing what career path to follow.

there are things in life that are more important. job satisfaction & life-work balance are to name just two.

what good is earning $100k/month going to do you if you HATE getting up in the morning and going to work and you burn out after a year or two?

i would rather earn $50K/month and LOVE what i do, look forward to going to work everyday and want to continue doing it for years to come.

but that's just me. i'm lucky that i'm good at what i love to do and am able to earn more than $50k per month (but that is only recently....)
    my hubby is the same. he's excellent at what he does, he LOVES his work and can't imagine life without it.

Quote Originally Posted by ariellioncub:
    It definitely has to be Feng Shui Master/Gigolo!
    lol.

For jobs it's finance first, i.e. trader, actuary, etc. Generally wealthy persons are self employed, property owners at number one, construction, then business owners.

I personally would not worry what career will make you the most money, as others have said.

Chances are: you will change your major at least once in University. I myself changed my major twice. I recommend you take a year off, travel, get some life experience under your belt, go try something new, and different. I was like you after high school, wanting to go do something to make the big bucks, but soon realized that money is useless unless you are happy!

BUT if you really want to make allot of money, go in to the oil industry, I have friends who make upwards of $12,000 CAD a month working in the Northern Alberta oil sands. Just imagine it: 200 km from the nearest civilization, and all you have is 10 or so guys living in a tent, or small trailer for 3-4 months! OH, and most camps don't allow booze. I don't think $12,000 a month is worth it.

Last edited by rmcbroom; 08-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.

If money is your goal, it may be easier just to avoid very badly paid jobs (nursing, for example!) and then let your interest drive you from there. No job pays a huge amount in the first year yet almost everything could earn you a very nice sum if you are the top tier or boss after 10 - 20 years .. so as others have said it's pretty important to enjoy what you do, and have some aptitude so that you can enjoy all the hard work you will need to put in to climb the ladder and get to a well paid position over time.

Forget HK, become an Alaskan King Crab catcher!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast