buying dell online

Closed Thread

buying dell online

I am thinking about buying a desktop dell online. Anyone out there have done that already? Whats your experience? Are they good? Were they quick delivering the system after placing the order? And are you happy with dell hk?l
    thanks.

I've been happy with the desktop system I ordered. It came promptly, to specification and hasn't had any problems in the 2 or 3 years since then, so I don't know what the after-sales service is like.

The only niggle I did have was that for some reason their marketing system decided that I must be a corporate buyer (maybe I got a particularly high-spec machine or something) and it took three or four attempts to stop them sending me catalogues in the mail and marketing faxes every month or so.

>>Were they quick delivering the system after placing the order?

Takes a week to ten days. They have an annoying system of faxes / confirmation which will set your order back about 2 or 3 days.

I bought a laptop from Dell HK a few weeks ago... ordered it on Tuesday afternoon, got a call from my bank on Wednesday morning to confirm the transaction - the first transaction on a new card - got a couple of emails from Dell on Thursday/Friday, and it was waiting for me when I got home from work on the following Monday.

No complaints at all at that, considering it wasn't (quite) the standard spec, so there was at least a little work done on it before sending it out.

Have to give the other side of the story here. Ordered a Dell laptop for my mother 4 months ago. Has been a complete disaster since the order. Problems with delivery, laptop was corrupted when it arrived, attrocious customer service. It's been 4 months and the laptop is still not working and Dell won't take responsibility. Actually Dell is being blasted in the media on their customer service these days, and there's been allot of blogs & reports on their deteriorating quality. I can refer you to some of them if you like...

Used to be a big Dell fan 3-4 years ago, but won't buy from them again. Bascially if you order & your laptop or desktop works upon arrival you'll probably be fine. But heaven help you if you need to call customer service for a problem.

Sorry for the negative tone, but thought you should know both sides before you buy....

Thank you for all your reply.

nina_70, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with dell and I am not sure if I want to get a dell desktop now.

nina's right. their customer service is going to the dogs. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a problem with a Dell desktop or laptop. We've purchased about five in total and all of them worked very well. I think Dell's service in the US is considerably better though.

also be careful with those cashback offer stuffs.
    dell have a bad habit of using client's money to support their cashflow. so they offer maybe like 1000hkd discount cashback for some models.
    this cashback tend to be slow, and if you don't chase them for it it might not even come. the cheque issuer is in ireland or some weird places and its downright irritating to get those through.

You can avoid all the hassles by visiting the Dell shop on the top floor of the MKK Computer Center. They can take your order and you will get your product a lot faster and with less frustration from dealing with the mainland sales reps.

There is a guy called Jay working there who is pretty good.

JaredHK,
    Any idea of the price different between the dell shop and buying online?
    MKK is Mongkok right?