Halal Meat

Closed Thread

Halal Meat

Hi,

I am desperately looking for Halal meat shops. It seems a bit hard for me to figure out for myself so I would really appreciate if there's someone who can tell me where I can purchase Halal meat. Thanks.

in Chung King Mansion, TST

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

There are halal shops in Bowrington Rd Market, which supply fresh meat and also frozen mutton from Australia.
    Actually you can go into any wet market and see if you can spot an Arabic sign, which will mark a halal shop.
    These mainly cater to Chinese Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    There are halal shops in Bowrington Rd Market, which supply fresh meat and also frozen mutton from Australia.
    Actually you can go into any wet market and see if you can spot an Arabic sign, which will mark a halal shop.
    These mainly cater to Chinese Muslims.
    Hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread slightly...

I know when it comes to kosher food, I have friends, more religious than I, who would actually want to know under whose authority, exactly which detailed rules, something had been certified as kosher. They may, for example, be okay eating non-meat products certified under a particular authority, but not trust their meat...

Is the same true for halal food? Just seeing you mention that these places 'cater to Chinese Muslims', I would wonder if maybe some of the customs differ, so someone who was really concerned might not be happy with local halal food...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread slightly...
    Whats there to hijack?

Halaal means that the raw material has been despatched by a Muslim, following certain guidlines.

About a decade ago kosher was more easily understood and would be used in place of halaal as it would atleast rule out pork.

But now all the frozen Danish chicken, for example is halaal as the term is more widely used.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Whats there to hijack?

Halaal means that the raw material has been despatched by a Muslim, following certain guidlines.
    Right - sure, I know that.

What I was asking was if the guidelines might differ between either geographically distinct groups, or groups with different traditions, such that a Muslim might say "yes, that food is halal but not halal enough, or not the right sort of halal for me to be happy with it".
    I only ask because I know it's an issue for some Jews - they want to know more than just "this is kosher" - they want to know who is certifying that, and under what conditions...

No, that's not an issue for Muslims AFAIK. I didn't know Jewish people argued amongst themselves over whether meat was Kosher or not though.

Thank alot guys. It's a great help. Please take good care!

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    No, that's not an issue for Muslims AFAIK.
    Don't be too sure. You haven't lived till you have squirmed your way out of an esoteric discussion, on whether crabs [hairy or otherwise] are halaal.

I received the attached file just in time for the holidays
    Attached Files Attached Files