Like Tree23Likes

Second Hand Luxury watches

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I quit collecting pocket watches when my deranged cat knocked my collection off the top of a bookshelf and destroyed about half my watches.

Tiger Sun:

Sorry to hear about what happened to your pocket watch collection.

Also, those fuss watches cir. 1700 are pain in the neck to keep them accurate and to repair. I don't think there are many competent watchmakers left for those jobs anymore. My watchmaker told me that in the past 10 years, his business solely survived on customers bringing in their quartz watches for battery replacements......$5USD a shot............Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Longitude is a great book. I've seen H1-4 at the Royal Observatory and they are stunning (well, except for H4 which looks like a giant pocket watch but the history behind it is still amazing).
    Made it to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich last month to see the Harrison Watches :-). Also saw a few examples of his work at The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers Museum in Guildhall. An early wooden (as in wooden gears and such!) grandfather clock made by Harrison is there as well as the little-know and uncelebrated H-5.
    jgl likes this.