Best remote control model shop in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Best remote control model shop in Hong Kong

Can anyone recommend a GOOD place to get remote control models? I have been to the street in Mong Kok with all the small shops.

My experience has been mixed - most of the time the staff seem totally disinterested, the range is really lacking and they just try to push one particular model on you regardless.

I was trying to get my kid a decent remote control car, electric, but can run off road. So far I have been totally unsuccessful and now have a collection of remote control cars (electric & nitro) which just don't work very well or are too complex for a novice.

Any advice, as always, appreciated!!

the normal stock cars from Tamiya / Kyosho are good enough for novice, just go to their websites and see which ones are good for off road. for a young kid i would recommend cars like the lunch box, wild willy, these can go off road as well and they do wheelies also. the outer shell is hard so not easy to break, large tyres. the cars only cost around 500-600 so not too expensive.

1/12 R/C Lunch Box Gold Edition

after you know what u want, then go to the shops around mongkok and see which one is selling at the best price.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 05-05-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Do you know of a shop in Mong Kok with a decent range? Last time we were there we bought a kyosho which is pretty solid and heavy. It is electric and a smaller scale copy of one of their Nitro powered cars. It was around $800 but is very slow and struggles on anything other than a tiled surface and pretty disappointing!

Last edited by HKNewBi; 05-05-2008 at 08:02 PM.

the standard cars comes with the most basic motors '540" if u invest in a 100 - 300 dollars more, u can get a much more powerful motor, it is an easy change and shouldnt take too long. the only draw back is that the playing time will decrease unless u invest more into better and powerful batteries. I dont know the actual shop name but on kwong wah street just when u pass the cross section of yin chong street, there is a model shop which is quite large, the owner inside speaks good english and they do have quite a large range.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

There's no "Best" R/C model shop in HK coz they kinda specialize in one thing or another because of competition. If you've check the above old thread, then the only place you should go is Kwong Wah Street in Yau Ma Tei as it is the center of R/C model in HK with shops on both sides of the street and a few inside the mall.

So you've bought a Kyosho 1/16 Mini-Inferno? That stock buggy is slow and heavy. I'd suggest you to go for a larger scale Ready-to-Run 1/10 buggy/monster truck. Stick with the major brand like Tamiya/Kyosho.

If you want performance, then you can alway get a kit and build one with hot motor & electronic speed control. But then the cost will run up as you'd need a quality charger and battery.

Again, check the above link first as it contains lotsa info regarding Kwong Wah Street R/C. Let me know how it goes.