any idea of buying handphone in mongkok 先达广场?

Closed Thread

any idea of buying handphone in mongkok 先达广场?

hi there, i m planning to buy nokia phone 6270 in mongkok 先达广场, its cheaper than other place, at fortress we have to pay for 3480hk$, in mongkok we only pay for 2800HK$, it is risky buying cheaper phone in mongkok, heard that the phone is not brand new, some of the inside components have been changed with the old components. is that right?
    can someone gimme some advice? thank you

Some have been diving in the toilet, some are stolen...

if you're getting a new phone, the toilet jobs or the stolen ones shouldn't be a big issue. there are a few threads on this site regarding mobile fone shops in mongkok etc. the general feedback from memory is pretty good.

one thread is

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...ghlight=mobile

there are plenty of other threads there. do a search using the "search forums" box to the left of the screen, search for mobiles or something...

we've all heard the stories about the dodgy fones, but i think if you go to a decent looking shop away from TST, you should be ok. once again, delve into the forums on this, some GeoExpat members have had some good (and one or 2 not so good) experiences they have posted on the forums. so, do a search and do some reading. i do recall one or 2 threads dealing specifically with mongkok shops.

HTH,

DDF

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 22-01-2006 at 01:55 PM.

I've bought a few out there. All of 'em worked flawlessly. I have since upgraded to a device that is not available in HK (O2 XDA Exec)

Jay, did you get an international warranty?

nope....all I can do is pray nothing happens to it

genuine from authorised resellers you get warranty but the "water goods" that are imported have no warranty or support. the shops in mongkok say they have both but if i was going to get genuine for peace of mind i would go to fortress.

And that's why Fortress can get away with charging more.....one born every minute!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    And that's why Fortress can get away with charging more.....one born every minute!!
    Yep and its usually $300-400 more expensive in there than say an independant in mongkok, Most locals change there phone every six months or so anyway so theres not much need for a warranty.

well,

there are good shops and bad shops in sin Tat. Me and my friends bought mobile phone there since 2002. Most of the tricks they will do are switching the genuine battery with the china made imitations. I bought one nokia there and the battery gone after 2 week. the shop refuse to change because its a water goods and their so claim warranty is only on the phone itself and most of the time is only warranty by the shop itself.

You need to check whether your battery is gunuine one and also the warranty cover those expensive parts e.g. the cd display. there were shops selling those japan important phone without warranty the lcd display.

Afterall you can get quite a good deal there for cheaper mobile phone.If you are willing to pay more for the the services and HK warranty,You may try Wilson telecommunication located at the end the the mongkok shopping street near to the starbucks coffee...I bought my Dopod there and they gave me a free training on the ppc phone and replace the phone when i found some dead pixels on the lcd.