Where to buy furniture in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Question Where to buy furniture in Hong Kong

I've just moved to HK last week with my husband. Currently I'm looking for new furniture for our apartment. Do anyone know a mall which is specilaized in furniture?

Ap Lei Chau - Horizon Plaza. Mostly high end stuff but some affordable shops.

Leighton Centre - Causeway Bay. Seemed to have a bunch of furniture shops in and around it.

Nice furniture you go to Ap Lei Chau...Cheapo stuff, you go to Ikea

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Nice furniture you go to Ap Lei Chau...Cheapo stuff, you go to Ikea
    For Crazy-Expensive stuff, you go to Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley

HC

there is also a "mall" with an ikea in it in sha tin.

as well as eureka that sells previously rented/discontinued stuff that looks very reasonable.

Horizon Plaza is pretty cool, thats an entire day furniture shopping right there all in one building. It is mostly furniture stores so there's bound to be at least one store to match your taste. I guess most of it is high-end and rather impractical, so I would probably give it a miss if your apartment is on the small side or if you are on tight budget.

Lots of local furniture shops around Wancai (Aluminium, etc). Most do customizations which is useful for some of the weird HK apartment layouts. Built-in desks are popular for example.

Then theres Jusco, G.O.D and IKEA. (Note - Ikea is owned by Dairy Farm Company here in HK so slightly different to overseas where it is mostly considered cheap and low end. Its surprisingly a few notches above that here especially when compared to brands from China. This may be due to a much higher cost of returned goods due to location of warehouse so quality control seems much higher).

For even cheaper furniture, there is DSC and Seahorse which are mostly from China.

And of course, don't forget there is always GeoExpat classifieds (in which case you'd need to seek the services of a man-with-a-van to help with delivery)

If you are looking for beds/mattresses, remember to review sizes - sizes vary internationally.

Ikea in Hong Kong seems to sell exactly the same ranges as Ikea in Japan and Ikea in the UK to me.....

Yeah - the ranges are mostly the same - since everything is actually designed in Sweden. The sources of the wood and imports may be different though. The model of sourcing the goods from the warehouse is mostly different too (unless you go to Sheung Shui) so there is generally a higher quality control before those larger items are given to the customer due to the cost required. (ie. Quality as in % defects in product not in terms of product range)

From the perspective of the locals alone, IKEA isn't exactly considered cheap.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much! It's not obvious to furnish the HK apartments as we have to maximize the space .