Like Tree3Likes

Mountain biking

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mountain biking

Would like to bring my mountain bike to Hong Kong. Hope to live in an area that is closer to bike trails such as Lantau, Sai Kung or Tai Po. I have discovered that bikes aren't allowed on trains. Does this mean all trains at all times or peak periods only? Are bikes allowed on ferries? I would prefer to live in a village house, however if we have to live in an apartment, am I allowed to take my bike up the elevator?

Looking forward to any replies from the biking community.
    Thanks,

John.

Most people I know (including myself) with bikes keep them in their apartment, so yes, bikes in elevators are usually okay.

For ferries to Mui Wo or Lamma, bikes are okay on the slow ferries (along with the usual freight) but not on the fast ferries. I've been told that bikes are fine on the standard Disco Bay ferries, but haven't done the trip to confirm it.

If you are really keen, you can take the front wheel off your bike and put your bike in a bike bag (http://www.flyingball.com have some bike bags for a few hundred HKD). This is generally acceptable on trains, and I am also told most double decker buses. I know this is very contrary to popular belief, but I have been advised the above by people who do this, and have seen people get on/off trains with their bikes in bags. I have also seen people on off peak trains getting off with the bike and no bag, just the front wheel removed.

Bikes are definitely allowed in elevators, unless you are unlucky enough to have some really unreasonable security staff. As far as bringing your bike goes... maybe you should see what is here before you ship your bike over. There are some cheap/well priced bikes here, good brands with decent specs.

mountain biking

Thanks jgl and Dropdedfwed for your responses. Very helpful. Also KIA from a few weeks back.. thanks. Actually KIA, I've learnt so much from your posts my head has gone up two sizes! When do you intend producing a KIA HK publication? You could call it "the planet doesn't have to be lonely."

Sunday Morning MTB Ride @HK Island Dragon's Back
    Date: Nov 28 (Sunday)

Click below for trail description
    The Dragon's Back

Where: HK Island Shek O Country Park

When to start: 9am meet at intersection of Cape Collison Road / Shek O Road or will pick you up @8:30 at Heng Fa Chuen MTR station

Difficulty Level: Dragon's Back contour section is suitable for beginners.

Time: 1 hour round trip (offroad)

Permit: Pls apply for a free MTB permit, 5 business day turnaround
    Click below
    02- AFCD Cycling permits

You can drop a note at the Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association forum too.

How to transport full size bike on subway?
    1) Before entering the gate, take off the front wheel and carry the bike & front tire into the platform.
    2) Take either the first or last carriage to avoid the crowds

Trains - Can confirm that the unwritten rule is for full sized bikes to take off the front wheel and for foldup bikes to fold the bike for the MTR. I have used the KCR West and East lines and the Tung Chung lines without incident with my folder. The airport express is the other possibility

Ferries - Slow ferries only for Lamma and Lantau. The bottom deck of the Star Ferry from Wan Chai (not central) is OK for full sized bikes. Central is OK for folders.

Busses - No clue.

Alternatives - A couple of bike shops also offer to garage your bike in Lantau, namely the friendly bike shop in Mui Wo (Shops - Friendly Bicycle Shop - Mui wo) and Sunny's bike shop near Tung Chung (Shops - The Mountainbike shop - tung chung)

The other one is to look at hiring a man with a van if there is a group of you going together.

Last edited by fth; 22-11-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Can anyone put the following MTR by-law into simple English? The English version is different from the Chinese version. Not sure if you need a law background to even understand the Chinese version.

Mass Transit Railway By-law 4A
    No vehicles, animals, etc. to be brought across the railway premises

Cap 556B bylaw 4A No vehicles, animals, etc. to be brought across the railway premises (MASS TRANSIT RAILWAY BY-LAWS; MASS TRANSIT RAILWAY ORDINANCE)

No person shall pass or attempt to bring, pass, drive or conduct any motor vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle or other similar conveyance or any handcart, barrow or similar conveyance or any thing including animals across the railway premises or any part thereof at any time except by notice published by or on behalf of the Corporation under this by-law nor shall any such person omit to shut or refasten any gate, door, chain or barrier as soon as he and any conveyance, animal or other thing has passed through the same.

The very simple and relatively cheap way to take any bike on any form of transportation and in hotels all around the world is to purchase or have a very light bike bag made. First I made one from old bed sheets and then I got a nicer one one in Japan that was about 30USD and it fits in my bike shirt pocket.

Sunday Morning MTB Ride @HK Island Dragon's Back
    Date: Jan 30

Click below for trail description
    The Dragon's Back

Where: HK Island Shek O Country Park

When to start: 9am meet at intersection of Cape Collison Road / Shek O Road or will pick you up @8:30 at Heng Fa Chuen MTR station

Difficulty Level: Dragon's Back contour section is suitable for beginners.

Time: 1 hour round trip (offroad)

Permit: Pls apply for a free MTB permit, 5 business day turnaround
    Click below
    02- AFCD Cycling permits

You can drop a note at the Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association forum too.

Oooh - I hope you guys are done in that hour - the Hiking Meetup Group is taking about 100 hikers over Dragon's Back later in the morning!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast