Like Tree7Likes

MOT Expired

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MOT Expired

I recently bought a car (first time in HK) and have just realised the MOT expires today!

Am I able to drive the car to the mechanic still to have the MOT done? Is there a late fee/penalty for it expiring?
    Can anyone recommend a good mechanic for a 98 BMW in the Tuen Mun area to do it?

Thanks

Ask @Enderman

I understand there is a long wait list for MOT

Yes, I have read that too.

You live and you learn, hey.

Would like to find a good mechanic in the area, with basic English, at least, in case there are any problems that need fixing.

As long as your minimum 3rd party insurance is NOT EXPIRED then yes you can still drive the vehicle but off course dont get into any accident or get stopped by the police, you'll just get a ticket only though.

once your MOT is passed when you fill in the renwal form from the transport dept, there is a section at the back of the form that you need to fill in from what date to what date your car has been off the road and you swear you havent been driving it wink wink, make sure you didnt recd any speeding / going through red light tickets during that period then they will know your lying.

kattillac likes this.

Mr. Law...92228337
    He is in Lam Tei...
    MOT waiting times...months.

kattillac likes this.

You can drive to MOT and wait for a free spot. I strongly recommend to do MOT first, and then repair based on what fails. Not sure how to do with an expired MOT though. You might have to tow the car there.....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Just enjoying a nice meal at the new Vietnamese, Da Lat, in Yau Oi...not bad at all!

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    You can drive to MOT and wait for a free spot. I strongly recommend to do MOT first, and then repair based on what fails. Not sure how to do with an expired MOT though. You might have to tow the car there.....
    You can't drive with an expired MOT...your mechanic will have trade plates...a local tow should be no more than a couple of hundred...

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah? I didn't write you get one, right?

(Could be that they changed that a while ago. Wait time was 6 weeks or so last December. It would be a usefull suggestion to try to make a booking 3-4 month before your MOT ends, I think MOT must not be older then 3 month.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast