Driving in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Driving in Hong Kong

We're building an FAQ about driving in Hong Kong.

Here are some questions to begin with

0) Do I need a car? Whats the public transport like?

First of all, I'd like to highlight that most people do not need cars in Hong Kong. The public transportation in Hong Kong works well, is safe and costs far less than most other international cities like New York, London and Tokyo.

The public transportation is broken up into several types.

-- The MTR and KCR form the core of the mass transit system in Hong Kong. They provide train services for most of Hong Kong, Kowloon and the New territories. New routes expanding into the south of the Hong Kong island and various other parts of the territories are planned.

-- The second most popular form of transportation are the buses. As a norm, most buses in Hong Kong are airconditioned and provide extremely efficient service. The frequency on most routes is 5-10 minutes with some long distance routes like the Airports falling to once every 20 minutes. Our transport section has several links to local bus companies.

-- The third most popular form of transportation is the mini-bus. These buses follow a fixed route and stop virtually anywhere on the route on request (assuming there are no parking and stopping restrictions).

-- Finally the most popular form of transportation for most expats that I run into, in Hong Kong -- the Taxi. Taxies are available everywhere and are extremely reasonable. Several years ago, the taxi driver in Hong Kong was synonymous with the cities rude and harsh attitude towards tourists and foreigners but this is changing. 95% of the time you can expect silent and efficient service. You're not expected to tip or make conversation with the driver (trust me.. I find this a pain in the rear when travelling to places where the taxi driver has no concern about your jetlag and starts treating you as his best friend).

Some interesting articles about the public transport from bloggers and expats in Hong Kong to give you a perspective of what the transport system is like.

Batgung.Com
    -- The Joys of Public Transport (I've spent a couple of formative years in Iowa and I know exactly what he's talking about)
    BigWhiteGuy.Com
    -- The Taxi Driver (I've had worse experiences in New York and Chicago by the way!)

To answer your question, do you need a car? I strongly recommend reading this article which sums up the pros and cons about owning a car.

Most american expatriates who are on expatriate terms (many are hired on local terms) do end up getting a car and never using it. These cars are frequently picked up in the classifieds when they leave town for peanuts (and a few dollars).

1) Do I need a drivers license?
    2) Can I use my overseas license here?
    3) Where do I go to get the license?
    4) Can you recommend any driving instructors?
    5) Any tips on getting my drivers license quickly?
    6) Why do people drive on the wrong side of the road? (For our American expatriates)
    7) Can I use my drivers license overseas?
    8) What insurance do I need to drive in Hong Kong?
    9) How do I get from one place to another?
    10) Parking related costs, locations etc
    11) Can I rent a car or a van for a day in Hong Kong

Paul, mostly need help with collecting questions.

I think Mr Tall (from the Bald and Tall duo over at Batgung.Com) can answer that question far better than I can.

http://www.batgung.com/articles/cars.htm

- where to park?
    - how and where to buy car?
    - can you rent cars and vans for the day?

Here are some more questions:
    Can I drive my car to Shenzhen and other parts of Mainland China?

How do I get the dual licence plates?

Interesting to note that I decided to have some fun driving whilst in HK, and found it far easier than in LA. Also, the parking in many cases, if you search hard and long enough, was cheaper. But, although I am one of those insane petrolheads, I have always loved the public transportation in HK. Which of course doesn't mean if the right weekend classic at the right price comes along that I won't snap it up. Still, registration and all is quite expensive. Thankfully we can't drive far, so the exorbitant price of fuel won't seem too bad for a Saturday jaunt.

I can't resist answering a couple of these...

2) Can I use my overseas license here?

Only if you are on holiday. If you have an ID card it is an offence. As it is in any other country.

3) Where do I go to get the license?

Check the transport department website under departments at www.info.gov.hk - you go into one of the offices (most likley Admiralty) hand over forms and documents, then go back two weeks later and get your license. This of course assumed you have a valid driving license. Most western expats will have no problem.

4) Can you recommend any driving instructors?

If you already have a driving license from most countries apart from Haiti and Monrovia you won't need any lessons.

6) Why do people drive on the wrong side of the road? (For our American
    expatriates)

They do not. More countries in the world drive right hand drive (left side of the road) than left hand drive as they do in the US and continental Europe.

TIP: as someone who has often alternated two or three times in less than a week through traveling, just remember that when you make a turn, the passenger seat should be next the curb. Picture that in your brain and you will never make a mistake.

7) Can I use my drivers license overseas?

Yes. There is this myth that you need an international driving license which is absolute rubbish. All an International License does is translate your legal right to drive into 12 languages agreed at some international convention years ago. I have hired cars all over the world on a British, American and HK license (in at least 20 countries on three continents to date) and have never had an international license in my life.

If you are going to an English speaking country or Europe you will find you do not need one. You ahve to have held a license in Hong Kong for two years if you want to get one from Hong Kong though.

8) What insurance do I need to drive in Hong Kong?

Third party minimum - if you have a cheap banger that is all you need. Most insurance companies will not insure a car over ten years old or a driver with less than two years experience.

9) How do I get from one place to another?

by driving your car.

10) Parking related costs, locations etc

expensive. If you have a car that often becomes a consideration when looking for an apartment. There are garages all over the place, and almost every major commercial building has public parking. Experts know every street with a meter, especially the ones not everyone knows about. Look for the ones that use octopus cards - they are less utilised at the moment.

11) Can I rent a car or a van for a day in Hong Kong

Yes - and on Sundays the biggest risk to your health are Sunday drivers who simply have no road sense. If you have a HK ID card you cannot rent with an overseas driving license - I think.

driving

Taking a taxi on your daily basis is a lot cheaper than having a car in HK..

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Depends...the math differs for different people and has to do with their individual and family needs, and their deal in HK, e.g. whether parking included in rent, whether employer pays rent, etc.... ..

and money isn't everything!

Unless you are lucky with a cabbie (and speak Cantonese), you generally can't use a public taxi simply to help you explore a bit of the South Side, or the route to the Peak, for instance, stopping at a scenic spot for 10 min to take in the view, or take in the scene at Deep Water Bay or parts of Sai Kung and so on. Nor casually taking a look at expat sales items. Tried taking a baby and car seat in and out of a cab? Or taking small kids for a change of scene by going out on a drive ...by cab? Etc etc

as a tourist, during my last few trips to hk, i think it is more beneficial for hk people to use the public transport. the government has taken so much efforts to upgrade and improve the quality of public transport to the public. most places in hk, especially the tourist hotspots are accessible using public transport. unless you wish to explore every nook and corner of unventured part of hk, public transport and cabs are sufficient for a fulfilling journey of discovery for everyone i think. owning a car in hk will raise the question of availability of carparks, exorbitant carpark fees imposed everywhere in the city, and the petrol cost as well as the maintenance expenses. cabbies in hk are quite friendly, and of course it helps more if you can converse in cantonese. otherwise, things might get a littly sticky, but still manageable. nothing is difficult in hk, i believe assistance is almost everywhere, provided you ask politely. thumbs up to hk!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast