HK drivers license

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question HK drivers license

I've read it takes about a week to get a hk drivers license (after filling our forms etc..) from the transporatation dept.

In the meantime while my husband waits to get that back, will they issue him a temp license?

If not, will they accept my husbands German drivers license (or Malaysian license...we have that too) to use for that wk?

thks!

It takes about two weeks, but in the meantime yes your original driver's licence is accepted, provided that it has the necessary details in English or Chinese. An International Driving Permit from your home country can be used if the original licence doesn't have English or Chinese.

By the way, the rules say that the licence you need to submit should be accopanied by a passport from that country. See the form here: http://www.td.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/...ev_2.2006_.pdf

Last edited by PDLM; 12-04-2006 at 05:20 PM.

I was able to go up to the transportation dept. today for my husband & happen to ask...

I was told it only takes 5 days from the time you give them all the paperwork to receive the hk license.

I was also told that the only way you can drive with your own country's driver license, is if you are NOT a HK I.D holder. (Can drive with Int'l license which we don't have)

Well my husband IS a HK I.D holder...so according to her, he can't drive until his HK license comes in.

The do not offer a temp license in the meantime...unfortunately.

Somehow, even if you hadn't told us, I could spot the German influence here. Just get out there and drive! The chances of you getting stopped and your licence checked are minimal. If you are then show your German licence and just tell them that you are visiting and borrowing a friend's car then they won't bother to check further...

But of course, being German, this would be breaking the rules and therefore verboten.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2006 at 02:11 AM.

Being the unconventional German that he is..erhmmm...he is still driving.
    And married to an American..oh shock & horror!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Somehow, even if you hadn't told us, I could spot the German influence here. Just get out there and drive! The chances of you getting stopped and your licence checked are minimal. If you are then show your German licence and just tell them that you are visiting and borrowing a friend's car then they won't bother to check further...

But of course, being German, this would be breaking the rules and therefore verboten.
    Just go out there and drive???

Hello??? Didn't you read a couple of threads up that it is against the law?

If you get stopped by a police, you may get off with a warning but you may also get a citation for driving without a license. Worse yet, if you get into an accident, guess who is going to pay for it because I am quite sure the insurance company ain't gonna pick up your bill....

Quote Originally Posted by citibatter:
    Hello??? Didn't you read a couple of threads up that it is against the law?
    Are you German too? Lighten up - people break petty laws all the time... I feel you need to get out more.

Jay walking is breaking a petty law, driving without a goddamn license is not just "breaking a petty law" you are looking at possible jail time here.

BTW, I am Canadian, don't know if it makes you feel better.

Well the law says:

"(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a visitor who holds-

(a) a valid international driving permit; or
    (b) a valid domestic driving permit or domestic driving licence,

issued in a place outside Hong Kong may drive in Hong Kong, during the period of 12 months following the date of his last entry into Hong Kong, a motor vehicle of any class which he is authorized by that permit or licence to drive notwithstanding that he is not a holder of a driving licence issued under these regulations, but so long as he has attained the age specified in regulation 7 for the issue of such driving licence in respect of the class of motor vehicle.
    (2) Paragraph (1) shall not authorize a person to drive a motor vehicle of any class if he is disqualified from holding or obtaining a driving licence to drive a motor vehicle of that class."

and

""visitor" means any person who arrives in Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period exceeding 12 months;"

So it seems pretty hard to see what exactly you would be charged with, never mind suffer jail time for, if you are driving on your overseas driving licence within the first 12 months of arriving in Hong Kong.

You can get charged because:

a) you are NOT holding an international driver's license
    b) you are not holding a domestic license either (I think domestic in this case means HK, not Germany)

Anyway, I am not trying to be a pain in the ass for you guys. It's just a friendly reminder that seemingly petty offense can have possibly severe consequences.

I always try to abide by the laws of the country I am in, maybe that's just us naive Canadians.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast