Like Tree166Likes

Does being overly frugal make sense ?

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    If that's the case why not present the situation as it is.
    I am sure people in your team are aware of the income differences.
    And if they are really a team they should leave no man behind.
    How about putting up a box where everyone can anonymously donate
    and that's all you have got, then talk to a restaurant and see what they can come up with for that money
    Unfortunately it's 17 teams, plus support and partners, so that gets logistically hard. Our own (individual team) of 4+4 was hard enough to organise for one dinner that met the price/food expectations of all!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Yeah well you won't please everybody.

Tell the cheap ass tree huggers that they live in HK and need to be prepared to pay for something reasonably decent.

Then tell the high almighty snobs that people around the world pay 50 cents for a meal so be thankful that they can get something half decent.
    The cheap ass tree huggers are local bus drivers with families (and similar). Easier for us expats to drop to their level (like last year) than the other way around.....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The cheap ass tree huggers are local bus drivers with families (and similar). Easier for us expats to drop to their level (like last year) than the other way around.....
    hmmm...my reference to bus drivers as cheap ass tree huggers was not so much appropriate. I never met any vege bus drivers though. I assumed the tree huggers were veges.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Subsidise the cheap asses then, those that can afford it should stick another $100 or so in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    hmmm...my reference to bus drivers as cheap ass tree huggers was not so much appropriate. I never met any vege bus drivers though. I assumed the tree huggers were veges.
    Perhaps they are - I'm not one of them. But we do have some ethnic minorities who are also veggie. That's the main problem - an extremely wide social mix of people which makes pleasing even the majority hard. Rich/poor; local/western palate; veggie/non-veggie etc etc. Anyway. Enough of this - I'm going to give up trying to "help" shortly (the organiser of this might not necessarily be appreciating my "help"!) although I have offered to get him a room at the Gold Coast Country Club - we could easily do something for the budget there but would anyone come that far out?! (you don't need to answer that).

Not helping with your problem moving but one thing we do here in the office when we go out together and to somehow ease this income difference issue is split the bill by "seniority"/

Say the bill is HKD 10.000 for 20 people:

Managing Director/Executive Diretcor will pay 1000 (Assume they are 4 that's 4K)
    Director/VP will pay 500 (assume they are 6, that's 3K)
    Associate/Analyst will pay 300 (assume they are 10, that's 3K)

I am making up the numbers, but you get the idea..

Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Not helping with your problem moving but one thing we do here in the office when we go out together and to somehow ease this income difference issue is split the bill by "seniority"/

Say the bill is HKD 10.000 for 20 people:

Managing Director/Executive Diretcor will pay 1000 (Assume they are 4 that's 4K)
    Director/VP will pay 500 (assume they are 6, that's 3K)
    Associate/Analyst will pay 300 (assume they are 10, that's 3K)

I am making up the numbers, but you get the idea..
    That's a great idea actually for office functions (if the company is not paying). Like you say, doesn't help me in this particular situation, but back to the general theme of the thread it might help others!

yeah, or take skin colour, white: insert here ^^
    or distance from place of origin; if they can afford the ticket they should pay more for the food !

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    yeah, or take skin colour, white: insert here ^^
    or distance from place of origin; if they can afford the ticket they should pay more for the food !
    Not sure my black banker friend fits neatly into that criteria!
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    if you read my earlier post, we had no idea what it was going to cost until we were there. it would have been terribly uncomfortable for everyone for us to get up once menus were handed out and say that we couldn't stay!

as it was, hubby and i ordered the cheapest things we could find on the menu...we shared a main and shared a salad... drank water etc. it still came to over $1000.... for us, that is too much, especially when you factor in our petrol costs, tunnel costs, parking costs.... it came closer to $1300-1400 for a couple of hours out.

my point was in response to someone else's statement that they didn't like it when people "limited" the amount he could spend on going out. not everyone is in the same boat. some people are "frugal" because they have to be....they just don't earn as much.
    that's better situation than when you go out as a group, you think each pays for his own, then your friends at the end decide to split it "evenly" when they've imbibed many costly alcoholic drinks while you had water or soda. hahaha
    Natfixit likes this.