Like Tree166Likes

Does being overly frugal make sense ?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Is Jimbo an UAW :-)?
    Ha not quite,somewhere in-between PAW and UAW right now, My crazy spending sprees are behind me now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ha not quite,somewhere in-between PAW and UAW right now, My crazy spending sprees are behind me now.
    Jimbo, you must really thank one of your dearest friends you found through Geoexpat, she really knocked some senses into you :P
    jimbo likes this.

Nothing worse than people nitpicking over oh you had a starter and a main but I only had a main etc etc. Frankly it's embarrassing when people start nitpicking and getting a calculator out and working out to the exact dollar how much they need to pay.

If the total bill is $5000 for 6 of us then we split it evenly, I really don't care about paying more if somebody had the steak but I had the chicken etc. Because it eventually evens out because the roles might be reversed next time.

The only time I won't susbidise is when the others start ordering bottles of wine and I'm sticking to my soft drinks.
    all fine and good if you are all equal financially.... as i've said before, not everyone can afford $800/person.... if i order what i can afford, then why should i be stuck subsidising you?
    z754103 and vikulya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    all fine and good if you are all equal financially.... as i've said before, not everyone can afford $800/person.... if i order what i can afford, then why should i be stuck subsidising you?
    That's the thing we're not equal financially. My friends earn at least double what I'm on but I still go to top end restaurants with them albeit now it's only on special occasions as opposed to say two to three times a month like before.

I don't want to be seen as tight like some people I know. If the meal was $92 each and we're in a group I'm not expecting or demanding my change back.

Nothing worse than people nitpicking over oh you had a starter and a main but I only had a main etc etc. Frankly it's embarrassing when people start nitpicking and getting a calculator out and working out to the exact dollar how much they need to pay.

If the total bill is $5000 for 6 of us then we split it evenly, I really don't care about paying more if somebody had the steak but I had the chicken etc. Because it eventually evens out because the roles might be reversed next time.

The only time I won't susbidise is when the others start ordering bottles of wine and I'm sticking to my soft drinks.
    Unfortunately that just doesn't work though when someone in the party cannot afford too much and others can. It also creates resentments (by the one who ate less and paid more) and results in friends refusing invites next time so they don't risk being left penniless. All downsides, when it's actually not hard just to go through the bill and pay for your own. I usually tot mine up, add service and "abit extra just in case" and throw it in the pot. Most of my friends do the same and then we all argue about what happens to the surplus
    carang and vikulya like this.

I wish I was more frugal! I always start the month with the best intentions...

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    I wish I was more frugal! I always start the month with the best intentions...
    This is what I did.....opened an account with no ATM card .No ATM card will make me lazy to go to bank and withdraw . Every month, i deposit certain amount in my account and its my saving then. May be you can try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Unfortunately that just doesn't work though when someone in the party cannot afford too much and others can. It also creates resentments (by the one who ate less and paid more) and results in friends refusing invites next time so they don't risk being left penniless. All downsides, when it's actually not hard just to go through the bill and pay for your own. I usually tot mine up, add service and "abit extra just in case" and throw it in the pot. Most of my friends do the same and then we all argue about what happens to the surplus
    Large Group gatherings we choose restaurants that are $300-$400 a head which we don't deem as expensive at all.

Being frugal only makes sense in context. I have seen locals not wanting to do a health checkup because they consider it expensive, then later when they realized they had health problems which would have been easier to treat had they done their checkup earlier. Sometimes, you just have spend the money. Rather spend it now then regret it later.

Despite the big splashing of $ over status symbol items (i.e. Rolls Royce, LV bags) by the rich locals, most Hong Kongers (and many Asian culture) in general empatize thrift and I can't recall how many times I have heard locals slam Americans for their over-spending and indebted ways. So locals have their virtues in terms of spending.

But then, if no one spends, then the economy won't be going anywhere.

Large Group gatherings we choose restaurants that are $300-$400 a head which we don't deem as expensive at all.
    Although you will note from the various replies, quite a few people would consider that to be expensive. So that's fine, provided you never make friends with anyone more frugal than yourself!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast