Like Tree1871Likes

Occupy Central Updates

Closed Thread
Page 274 of 1209 FirstFirst ... 266 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 282 ... LastLast

https://twitter.com/SpyEast/status/578386158972960768
    Last edited by threesummers; 19-03-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

David Smith
    http://www.ejinsight.com/20150318-po...st-since-2003/
    Mingpao says complaints about police last year were at an all time low and only 137 of 2421 related to occupy.

Scmp meanwhile mentions over 2000 complaint s relating to Occupy alone. http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/art...nts-has-nearly

Which is it? They can't both be right.
    Last edited by David Smith; 19-03-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    East_coast and threesummers like this.

Talking points: Should the government broadcast adverts urging the public to support political reform? | Young Post | South China Morning Post

Amber Pang Tsz-ying, 16, Ma On Shan Tsung Tsin Secondary School

The advert reminds me of an old Chinese saying: "The government is free to burn down houses while the common people are forbidden even to light lamps."

The government is broadcasting adverts urging the public to support political reform, but when Hong Kong citizens raised banners requesting genuine universal suffrage, they ended up being arrested.

What the government is doing is brainwashing the public. It is using an authoritarian approach to make people accept political reform.

Titus To Cheuk-lam , 16, Ma On Shan Tsung Tsin Secondary School

I feel uncomfortable when I watch the adverts because I think the government is trying to trick people into supporting "fake universal suffrage".

To make things worse, Hong Kong citizens don't have a choice - the candidate for chief executive must win the support of a nominating committee chosen by the central government, and not the Hong Kong people. The public will not want to vote.

Frank Lee Chun-hei, 15, Shatin Tsung Tsin Secondary School

Ads or no ads, Hong Kong people need to understand that our political reform should be developed steadily after the umbrella movement. Rushing into things is a bad idea.

It's time for us to trust in the Hong Kong government and let them find a balance between the demands of the central government and of Hong Kong citizens.

Anushka Purohit, 15 , Renaissance College Hong Kong

The government-broadcast adverts urging the public to support political reform are a form of propaganda.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter what it is about, from politics to education, or even food. The fact that the government is trying to control the opinions of citizens instead of listening to them is bizarre, if not plain wrong.

Moreover it is very expensive to advertise; they're wasting public money.

Tinaz Mirza, 16, South Island School

Adverts are inherently biased. Their purpose is not to educate people and lead them to make the best decision, but rather to selectively present information to sway readers to a particular perspective.

I don't believe that the government's job is to sway the public in directions which benefit the government. The government should not advertise to gain support for their political reform.
    East_coast likes this.