ROA vs RTL

Closed Thread

Unhappy ROA vs RTL

Hi all, new poster here . I'm sorry if this has been posted a million times but I have searched around the forum and couldn't work out a definitive answer on the subject.

I was born in HK in 82 and stopped being a resident in 90, so the letters under my DOB on my ID card are RZ. I only acquired this new card last year, and have not had one before. I was under the impression that this entitled me to be able to work in HK and RTL, but I have read posts to the contrary here. What exactly are my rights to work bearing in mind both my parents are British citizens and I have been away for so long? What are the practical differences in rights between ROA and RTL?

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq.htm

Right to land
    A person who ceases to have the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR will automatically acquire the right to land in Hong Kong in accordance with the law. He will be able to enter Hong Kong freely to live, study or work without any restriction. A person may ascertain whether he has lost the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR by applying for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card with the Right of Abode Section of the Immigration Department for assessment of whether he has lost the permanent resident status and has the right to land in the HKSAR.
    You'd really have to email immigration and ask them about your situation..

General Enquiry: [email protected]
    Right of Abode Enquiry: [email protected]

This is kind of what I don't understand. Lazarus posted in the 'Losing ROA' thread:

If you don't have any asterisks or the letter "A" under your 'Date of Birth', then you DON'T have the right of abode, only right of land - and status does change (active/inactive), your NOT Permitted to work unless you have a valid work visa/permit. Those or normally issued to non-native Hong Kong's who's parents are NOT from Hong Kong or No longer recognized as been a Chinese Nationals - May apply for HKSAR passport, after 7 years continues residence. Permission/Visa required to work on the mainland.
    But on the section on it in HK immigration they say:
    Right to land
    A person who ceases to have the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR will automatically acquire the right to land in Hong Kong in accordance with the law. He will be able to enter Hong Kong freely to live, study or work without any restriction.
    Either this is a contradiction or I am free to work, but I have to get a visa?!

btw thnx for such quick responses and a great forum!

Person having ROA or RTL- no need to apply for work visa, since you can work, live, study in HK.