A good place to live in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm moving to HK from San Francisco within the next couple of months for a 2 year assignment. I'll be going to HK in 2 weeks to check out the place and figure out where I'd like to live. I'd like to find a place that's quiet and a bit removed from the city. I'll be working in Central and could handle upto 30 minutes of commute. I'd appreciate any suggestions

Take a look at Midlevels, Sek O, Pokfulam.

http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp?

Happy Valley

Discovery Bay

Kennedy Town. 7 minutes to Central via taxi, mostly locals living here. A couple of buildings for expats, some with shuttle service to Central.

Judging from the date you posted your message, you are probably in HKG now and doing the same thing I am doing. Funny that we're from the same city. I echo a couple of responses that you've received, and that is Happy Valley and mid-levels. Happy hunting!

places to live in Hk

My family and I have loved living in Tin Hau. It is next to Victoria Park the closest thing to country you will get in the city center. It is so easy to get around this city that you can always head to the countryside on the weekends but it is nice to have a short commute in the week. I like it too because it is not so much of an expat community and has a nice Hong Kong feel.

I am looking for a roommate in the fall as my family is moving back to the USA. I will only be here for three to four months but have a two year lease. We have been here for one year already. It is a nice size apartment with three bedrooms and harbor view in two of them.

One other area I liked on my search too was Jardine Lookout. Very quiet, above the congestion - you can hear the birds.
    Good luck with your search.
    Let me know if you want to meet. Frances

Last edited by fstewart; 26-05-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Discovery Bay

I decided on Discovery Bay because of my language problem. I did try several places before I made my move. The transportation cost from DB may be higher but I have found it very convenient if I have to go Central. As for the transportation cost, it is still a lot cheaper than what we have to pay in the SF Bay area by taking Bart, Caltrain and muni or driving/parking.

If you can speak some Cantonese or can read some Chinese, you probably can live anywhere in the Hong Kong island side.

Quote Originally Posted by wing:
    I decided on Discovery Bay because of my language problem.[...]
    If you can speak some Cantonese or can read some Chinese, you probably can live anywhere in the Hong Kong island side.
    Lest anyone be thrown by this I think I should point out that about 50,000 expats who speak and read no Chinese at all live very happily on HK Island & Kowloon... I'm not sure I understand what this "language problem" is to which you refer.

Smile

There are SO many choices in Hong Kong and the commutes aren't bad depending on your hours. I'm still a fan of Kowloon side (though recently looked at a Happy Valley place). Just don't find a place that beats my current view and general convenience. I'm at Fa Hui, the FLower Market at Prince Edward, Mongkok, bordering Kowloon Tong. Best central Kowloon spots, IMHO, include Kowloon Tong, Prince Edward, and Jordan. Prices may be a little less, or you get more space for the money. And you defintely are not living in expat-city...but are close enough when you need a fix ;-) If you have a car, it is around 30 minutes from Sai Kung's green & water view houses to town (eastern tunnel) probably under an hour by mini bus to the MTR ... this is an attractive option, but I admit that I already leave dinners and engagements with friends by midnight to make it home by MTR, so wonder if loving out to the countryside might reduce my social life (there's little enough of that given very long hours). On the other hand, enjoying morning coffee in the garden or terrace might just make me smug.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast