US Citizen---How to get HK Citizenship

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HKGUY - That seems like it would be a pretty hard law to control though. The onus would be on the police to prove someone married JUST for visa rights and that the couple didn't love each other.

It would seem to be extremely hard to prove or disprove love, and it's not something any country's government has any real moral right to do.

Which basically means a government would only even start to bother if something seemed like a very suspicious marriage of convenience. And the police/governments risk getting themselves in trouble for racism in that area - as it seems, in the west at least, most of these cases come when middle eastern/filipino/african people marry western people, and it's not exactly impossible for love to be involved.

In other words - if you marry someone you love you don't have anything to worry about.

Originally posted by Botox

It would seem to be extremely hard to prove or disprove love, and it's not something any country's government has any real moral right to do.
    Immigration procedures in most countries involve you having to prove a few things -- including how you met etc. You'd be surprised what the US immigration asks for...

Originally posted by Andy_HK
    You have to give up your American citizenship before the SAR will naturalise you.
    Can you please clarify what this means? Do you mean becoming a Chinese SAR citizen? Or a Hong Kong permanent resident?

Thanks Paul for some clearing things up. I do not really care if i am a HK Citizen or not, but would just like to stay in HK for however long I want and not have to worry about that 90 day touring visa thing on my passport. I do not wish to give up any of my status in the States. If i have to marry for dependent status, I hope I will fall in love with that person and vice versa to make it all work out. Hope some people would understand me, if you are in the same shoes.

Wish me luck fellas,
    Buddy

Buddy,

It's baby simple. What you have to remember is that there's a difference between becoming a Chinese national and a Hong Kong permanent resident. As far as I am aware, unlike BNO passport holders, ethnic Chinese with US citizenship (a US passport) are guaranteed consular protection in Hong Kong. Therefore, you can retain your US citizenship (and passport for travel outside of Hong Kong) whilst waiting for 7 years on a dependant visa, then after this time has passed become a Hong Kong permanent resident.

In other words, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can live in Hong Kong as a permanent resident, then use your US passport for travel purposes. All you have is the "right of abode" in Hong Kong, the right to settle there permanently, and the right to work there. But you're NOT a Chinese national (which, for most people, is a relief). So your identity as a person will have two forms--inside of HK, a permanent resident HKID card holder, outside of HK, a US passport holder. If all you want is the right to settle and work in Hong Kong, and you're not looking to become a citizen of the PRC, it is possible to have your cake and eat it too. Live it up.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong about this. You may find the following websites useful:
    http://www.usconsulate.org.hk/consular/acs14.htm
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/chnnationality.htm
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_3.htm

Last edited by N8Ma; 31-12-2003 at 07:29 PM.

Interesting point about BNO passport holders. Note, however, that it is only those BNO passport holders who are also Chinese citizens who do not have consular protection by foreign countries while in HK.
    There may well be some people who hold the BNO passport yet do not hold CHinese nationality, e.g. Indian/Pakistani minority in HK. They are entitled to UK consular protection, since the Chinese government recognises their BNO status.