Nuisance phone calls

Closed Thread

Nuisance phone calls

I have been getting these nuisance calls daily at weird times. Sometimes its 11 in the night, sometimes its 6 in the morning. I pick up the phone and there is no response (not even a recorded cantonese message) . When I call back I get a dial tone. I have started keeping a list of the times called and the numbers. I found out that the first 6 digits of the number are same but the last 2 keep changing. I complained to my service provider PCCW, but they said they cannot do anything regarding this. Any suggestions as to how to stop these?

Report it to the police is the only way you can get it stopped formally.

Quote Originally Posted by rini:
    I have been getting these nuisance calls daily at weird times. Sometimes its 11 in the night, sometimes its 6 in the morning. I pick up the phone and there is no response (not even a recorded cantonese message) . When I call back I get a dial tone. I have started keeping a list of the times called and the numbers. I found out that the first 6 digits of the number are same but the last 2 keep changing. I complained to my service provider PCCW, but they said they cannot do anything regarding this. Any suggestions as to how to stop these?
    You can have your phone number registered with OFTA (Office of Telecommunication Authority) and all those phone calls (I assume they are a kind of promotional ones) have to stop. Should it happen you receive them again, you can also file an official complain to OFTA.

That is only true for pre-recorded voice messages. It is not true for live calls, and it is not clear whether it is true for silent calls.

But no harm in registering here anyway: OFTA - Unsolicited Electronic Messages Ordinance