Returning with your ID card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Returning with your ID card

I'm asking, purely for interest sake.

I left HK a few months ago to work in Europe.

My HK visa is valid till 2011. I am coming to a few meetings in China later this year and thinking of visiting friends in HK. I was wondering if my ID card would still work when I use the e-channel at the airport.

Part of me wonders if the revenue department sends a message to the immigration department to say your taxes are paid and you are gone, or does the work visa trump the system?

I think it would depend on whether your employer notified immig of your departure, which they are required by law to do....

yep

they would have.
    they are very by the book people.

so would that mean the card would stop working?

it will not work and if you DO try to enter with it, you could be in trouble.... just go to the counter... show your passport and your old id and say, "i moved away, but wasn't sure if you would need this or not."

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    it will not work and if you DO try to enter with it, you could be in trouble.... just go to the counter... show your passport and your old id and say, "i moved away, but wasn't sure if you would need this or not."
    In my experience that is not true. As has been mentioned numerous times in this forum, one's visa continues to be valid until the earlier of the expiry date or Immigration Department revoking it. Typically the IMMD does not revoke visa purely based in being informed of cessation of employment, so the visa stays valid and the HKID card continues to work until the original expiry date.

I agree with beachball.

By the way, did you clear your tax debts? If not that will almost certainly get triggered when you try to enter Hong Kong (or, more likely, when you try to leave).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I agree with beachball.

By the way, did you clear your tax debts? If not that will almost certainly get triggered when you try to enter Hong Kong (or, more likely, when you try to leave).
    Paid, signed sealed and delivered and was paid my last salary so sorted.

go to know it's not true! thanks for setting me straight

I hv a qns as well. The visa in my passport expires in mid July and my HKID expires in end July. In this case, by which date must I leave HK?

Can any1 advise me, pls? Thx!

your HKID expires???? HUH????

that should NOT be the case! they don't usually have an "expiry date" on them....

your visa is the one to go by anyhow.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast